1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Oct 25, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Oh, hell no. We haven't seen the last of these, because all a network needs is one good one. You find one Lost out there and you've 16 weeks of Super Bowl-esque ratings and ad revenues. And that one show pays for damn near everything else you do. Take ABC, for example. Lost pays a lot of bills, so the network can take chances on several looks-average-on-paper shows that the other networks have to pass on.

You can count on the networks trotting out at least three each for the next five, six years. That's about how long it'll take for it to wear off, just as it has with every other TV fad. (See: reality show saturation)

2. This week's good, not great. The dynamic between the two brother/robbers is getting very interesting, but I agree that old Egan's becoming a pain.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think this is the same rationale every network used when Who Wants to be a Millionaire hit it big...we saw how the game show boomlet went the way of the dotcom bubble

4. Howie Mandel disagrees with you ... from a safe distance, of course.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

NBC disagrees with the rest of the world. It recently announced that it was going to all reality/gameshow programming for the 8 p.m. timeslot. Tired of wasting money trying to produce costly dramas and sitcoms, they said.

Seriously. They actually said that.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So much for the Seinfelds and Friends of the world. I guess GE enjoys having the fourth-place network.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

They're a bitter bunch. Those feelings surfaced shortly after the creators of Lost informed everyone that they first pitched their idea for a stranded-on-a-strange-island show to the geniuses at NBC, who tripped over themselves to pass on it.

Since then, everything NBC has poured money into has failed miserably. E-Ring died, Kidnapped never had a prayer, S60 ain't doing so hot and Surface should've never been approved. The one decent drama they've put out there in the last three years, Medium, was done so as sort of an afterthought.

I think this decision is them basically saying, "Look, we've got no idea what people wanna watch. So, here's some mindless bullshit that costs us nothing, so we won't be fired if it fails."

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

FYI: Show looks to be toast. Was put on hiatus. I imagine ABC will burn off episodes later in the year ... too bad, it had potential.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6394611.html?title=Article&spacedesc=news

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That sucks... I thought it was one of the better shows from the new season...

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I didn't tell you this BUT...they let painted over the Nine's cast/crew parking spots at their studio today -- some went to Numbers, but most went to the new Jake G/Reese movie, Rendition.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I guess you really know you are out of a job when you show up to work and your parking spot is gone ...

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Crap.

I thought The NIne was this season's Invasion. Took its time to build a narrative, dropped little hints here and there with the promise of a payoff at some point. I was fully committed to wherever the plot was taking me, especially as the openings were always riveting.

Sadly, it appears it really is this season's "Invasion." Cancelled before its time.

Draft saved Draft deleted