1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Oct 25, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Has anyone had a chance to see this show yet? It looks interesting based on the previews, but it seems like story material may be kind of skimpy.

2. It's my new fave rave, as I've already been very annoying hereabouts on the topic. It really picked up steam last week.

3. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

Funny, because last week is when I began to get annoyed with it. I think it's an interesting show with an interesting concept. But the characters are very cliche, and their tendencies -- "It's Egan Foote, with an E ... not at the start of Egan but at the end of Foote" -- make me realize all too frequently that I'm watching a television show.

I hope tonight gets me back where I was a couple of Wednesdays ago.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

It better get back to maintaining Lost's lead-in audience. It hasn't the last two weeks and ABC is seriously considering pulling the plug on it. They might move it, but what's the point? If it can't carry that time slot, up against nothing but ER and being propped up by Lost, where can it find an audience?

I like the show, and like F_B, thought last week's episode was much better than the previous two. I'd like to see it stick through the year, but that ain't looking good.

EDIT: Sorry, got my TV schedule screwed up. The Nine is against CSI: NY and nothing else. Not ER, as I said. The only other competition in that slot -- NBC's Kidnapped -- has been moved and replaced by reruns of Dateline.

5. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I thought it was a cool idea. The reality, though, is that it's just not very good. The ratings dropped at a pretty alarming rate early. Unless something changes, The Nine will die a quick death.

You think it'd be fine with Lost ahead of it. I guess a p00py diaper is a p00py diaper whether it's in Sam's Club briefs or Pampers.

Dog tried to convince me otherwise about The Nine, but it ain't happenin.

The Nine ratings (from Neilsen):
    Oct. 4: 7.8/11
    Oct. 11: 5.7/9
    Oct. 18: 5.8/9
    *Dateline (NBC) was 5.2/8 on the Oct. 18 timeslot.

6. This show is just boring. That's its problem. The pilot was very engrossing but it's gone in the crapper since.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I think I figured out the problem: In today's TV land, these people are buncha whining bitches.

Seriously. You've got Jack Bauer overcoming the loss of a friend/co-worker/loved one/family member inside of an hour each week and still killing 10 bad guys, the people on Lost have managed to cope with not know what the hell is going on for three months, the entire town of Jericho is picking up and moving on despite the rest of the country being wiped off the map and the CSI/SVU/Criminal Intent/L&O guys are getting past multiple rapes and murders each week.

Then you've got these nine eight people who were involved in a 52-hour hostage ordeal in which one person was accidentally shot and killed. And none of 'em can seem to get past it. Maybe it's a more realistic human reaction than what you get from those other shows, but it doesn't fit what we expect from our TV dramas. If you want a group of people to be this shaken, you gotta come with something better than a bank robbery.

8. Great point, dog

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I also wonder if we are hitting the saturation point on those type of super-involved "You need to have watched the last three weeks to understand this week" kind of shows, especially the single storyline types. 24, Lost, etc. are really engrossing shows, but the copycats keep coming out of the woodwork and there are only so many of those shows that can be out there. Most people can only have 1-2 true appointment TV shows each week. The beauty of the Law and Orders and CSIs is that you don't need to watch any previous shows to catch the next one.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

So .. any thoughts on tonight's episode?

I like the repeat lapses back to the robbery, but showing the exact same sequence so many times with the apparent illusion that nothing changes or there's nothing for you to really pick up - unless I'm missing something?

And for the record, Time Daly is HOT!
    [​IMG]

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Sorry, sxy....just can't agree with you on that one ;)

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Dammit, stole my joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted