1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Night is (still) dark and full of terrors — running House of the Dragon thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 19, 2022.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I knew it was coming because early reports talked about the multiple people playing Rhaeyna and Alicent but didn't realize it was going to be so fast.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’ve watched both episodes. I like it, but it feels different. At first, I thought because there were no jumps between stories. However, I think it’s the lack of humor.

Not saying that GOT was Seinfeld, but there was some laughs when Tyrion was on screen and the friendship in the first few episodes between Ned and Robert. Arya was even fun in her tomboy role.

Here, it’s all grim faced people looking grim faced. The slightest joke was the parents separately telling the princess she smelled like dragons.

outofplace and Mr. Sluggo like this.
  4. outofplace

I hadn't thought of it that way, but now I agree with you. The show really doesn't have any humor to balance out all the darkness. Tyrion played such a key role in making GOT fun. A lot of that was Dinklage's performance. The same is true of Bean and Addy. This one has some interesting characters and actors, but not on that level.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think we can dispense with spoiler warnings here but that was damn funny

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Aren't there a bunch of other GOT prequels/ backstories in the works? I've watched most of Episodes 1 and 3 and enjoyed them so far. Harsh world for women indeed.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This is a few months old, but yeah. I think there are grand plans to try to build it out like Marvel and Star Wars.

Here are all the 'Game of Thrones' spin-offs in development

9. 2muchcoffeeman

The Crabfeeder had greyscale, and I’m not sure why they made that choice.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

One of the more interesting questions in the history of the Seven Kingdoms got answered tonight.

It does open up some other historical questions, though.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There is a serious lack of humor in the HOD. At least GOT had Tyrion, Littlefinger and even Bronne (the big woman). Here, in HOD all we get is Rhaenyra making snide remarks and dark greys with constant lit candles everywhere. Its getting close to depressing.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  12. outofplace

cyclingwriter made that same observation less than two weeks ago and you are both right. It's all just way too grim.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted