1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Night is (still) dark and full of terrors — running House of the Dragon thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 19, 2022.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Just bought a one-year to HBOMax today.

Gotta have my dragons. I miss Jon Snow.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You know nothing

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

We came to Game of Thrones late. Think we only watched the final season in real time. All-in on this one from the start. Hard to think it can live up to GOT when it was at it's best, but ya never know.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprised there are any English/Irish actors left. Can you imagine being a British actor and not having appeared in GoT, or The Crown or Downton Abbey?

garrow likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Would like a word

[​IMG]

HC and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Add Harry Potter to that list and you eliminate everyone but Sir Patrick Stewart.

8. Spartan Squad

Wants to converse, politely of course

[​IMG]

HC and Mngwa like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Could easily defeat any dragon by himself:

[​IMG]

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I'm in. I thought that was a good start, and if you didn't love the million and one Easter eggs in it then you probably didn't love Game of Thrones.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Holy shit, is it misogynistic. Violent and bloody too, of course, but that's sort of expected. So is the misogyny, I suppose, there were plenty of articles discussing that it was coming.

My wife and I were Song of Ice and Fire readers, and we were very engaged with the series, at least until the showrunners decided to cut it short and forced the ending. She's over at a friend's, and I texted her "The new GoT is on at 9, right?"

Her reply? "Meh"

I wonder to what degree this will hurt the show. It's still a juggernaut, and GRRM wasn't at all apologetic, basically just saying that it's a very harsh world for women, but I can't help but wonder if it will affect the numbers.

12. Spartan Squad

It’s supposed to be medieval Britain and it wasn’t kind to women. I suspect they are going to establish a change to give rise to Daenerys and Cersi. Is playing up what it realistically was like. I also suspect they are establishing the world that the Princess just got thrown into as the heir.

This was a good start. Good stakes building and world establishing. It was a little weird seeing Matt Smith all muscular going to pound town but he was a standout.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted