1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL's ratings crisis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And the way some of the fans look.

Hermes likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fans also tend to stand through much of college games. It's just not as passive an environment as NFL.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Exactly. And why invest 3.5 to 7 hours of your life watching a game(s) for the outcome(s), when you can look up all the results on your smartphone in under a minute?

Sure you missed possibly some drama on how a game unfolded, but you got HOURS back in return.

Back in the 1970s and before, if you didn't catch a game live or the 11 PM sports report, you had to read about it in the paper the next day. Or learn by word of mouth. So, more incentive to watch it live if you didn't want to wait for hours to learn the outcome.

And hell, I remember some papers had hotlines where you could hear the scores instead of calling the Sports Department and wasting the fucking time of the staff.

Ranting!

And I can't believe the 1980 Miracle on Ice was on fucking TAPE DELAY, and my sister's boyfriend wouldn't tell me the score, but told me I had to watch this. So I knew the red blooded Americans had beaten those Commie bastards, but at least he didn't tell me how or the final score. That's one event I wish I could have experienced live without knowing the outcome.

But FUCK the current sports scene. Overpaid crybabies.

Oh, but those good old days did create a niche for George Michael and The Sports Machine. So, there's that.

Rant off.

5. Vombatus

Wait until they create realistic sex robots.

Hermes likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Goddamn, you need interns. Low paid slaves who think they can make it big in sportsjournalism someday.

Bwahahahaha.

7. Vombatus

Fuck I'm responding to posts from Wednesday and 8 pages ago. Going back to my beer and pizza. Fuck this.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

WOO-FUCKIN'-HOO!!!!!!

[​IMG]

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

More "atmosphere" and positive energy at college games, too.
    NFL games have more drunken, brawling assholes. Except for Miami Hurricanes games.

[​IMG]

Huggy likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Speaking of rants, I remember one time, we had a local high school team playing some sort of state playoff game. In preview stories of the course of several days, we posted a hotline for people to call for updates throughout the game.

Naturally, we had several dozen people calling us on our regular phone and wasting our fucking time.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Vombatus

Personal Foul - dude on the left is grabbing the string on that Tilley hat.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just to be clear...

LOL.

Draft saved Draft deleted