1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL's ratings crisis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 17, 2016.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Peyton retired.

What's the fucking point in watching? :D

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And one of those is the team playing.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

And the LA Sparks are playing the deciding game of the WNBA finals, further fragmenting the audience [/crossthread]

sgreenwell, HanSenSE and Cosmo like this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This might be the only good reason to vote for Trump.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

CBS has the doubleheader this week, and several early games. Problem is they all suck. Other than that Raiders-Jags game, it's Colts/Titans, Browns/Bengals, Bills/Dolphins or Raiders/Jets. Game 2 is full national Patriots/Steelers, which looked a lot better last Sunday around 2 p.m. ET.

That's a function of the NFL's rule that every team must have at least one prime time game. If you group two teams no one cares about on a Thursday night, you kill two birds with one stone. (Fair warning: The Browns are on TNF in Week 10 at Baltimore).

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Buh... buh.... but every seat is filled for every game. Every game sells out! At least that's what the people say that believe football is our national pastime! <sarcasmfont>

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Interesting read, Inky. I note that the primary reason appears to be very similar to one NFL problem, too many games between crappy teams. I think the real story in the NFL is the slow death of parity which in turn is driving ratings down. I mean, I don't want to see the Titans, Jags, Browns, Rams, Bears, etc. at all and I didn't name all the teams that bore me to tears, or even to watching golf.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I never want to see an AFC South matchup ever again.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Me neither, and I am allegedly a Titans fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted