1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL's ratings crisis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The season is the same length it's been for 20 years. Didn't seem to be a problem until now.
    In fact, there was a period in the 1990s, I think, when teams used to have two bye weeks per season. Everyone pretty much agreed it sucked, so they went back to one after a couple of years.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The default national game for this Sunday's early CBS window is Raiders-Jaguars. Bet that will be a ratings winner.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's the only game in its time slot.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What do you mean?

5. dixiehack

No you're thinking of Pats-OOPbots, which is the CBS late game. (And it won't be the only late game here, where we'll get Falcons-Chargers for the single Fox game.)

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Next week, Jacksonville at Tennessee. Every fucking year. Jacksonville at Tennessee on a Thursday. STOP TRYING TO MAKE FETCH HAPPEN, GRETCHEN.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I confused the London game.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm sure everyone in LA will wake up early for the 6:30 a.m. Rams kickoff

9. dixiehack

I'm thinking of going up, if only because tickets will be cheaper than Aldi produce (and almost as fulfilling).

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The second and third largest TV markets in the country will not be watching Packers-Bears tonight. That's not gonna slow down this trend.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I swear they played each other six times a couple years ago.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Excellent work here. This is my thought exactly. The sport's brutal nature deters viewers not so much because they fear seeing a catastrophic injury but because minor injuries compel stoppages of play and commercial breaks. If you don't have Sunday Ticket, you're never more than three minutes from a three minute break. Or so it seems.

Draft saved Draft deleted