1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL Combine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I'll be covering it tomorrow and Saturday, and I was wondering if anyone out there could give me a clue as to what to expect. Hurry up and wait? Running around like a chicken with my head cut off?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Not a single person I've asked has been there, so I'm flying blind as of now.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

You wait outside a lot of doors and sit in lobbies and bum rush people as they leave workouts and meetings is the rousing experience that i've heard about. talking to players is probably easy as they want to get their name out. but i'd imagine you need some good sources on the inside to get anything of value out of the workouts.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

if you know coaches and gm-types, it can be terrific. the league brings most of the players you'd want into the media room, if you're there for draft features. usually they'll get new head coaches and several gm-types, too. outside the work room is where you can intercept coaches/gms going in and out of the dome. it's very, very helpful. for several years, it was a delightful secret little gold mine for 30-40 regulars who went there annually. in recent years it's exploded, media-wise, but the access is a rare benefit. everyone's much more relaxed than during the season.

4. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

Why is this idiocy even covered? This country is just WAY too NFL-crazy. One of those ESPN shows (Around the Horn, I think) actually led its show with NFL combine stuff yesterday.

At least in spring training, it's A. The start of the season (not after the season ends), B. A sign that winter's ending and C. at least they play games.

I hate the NFL.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Read an interesting piece this morning on what teams actually learn -- and don't learn -- at the combine:

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1172123173202440.xml&coll=1

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the country is, as you say, way too NFL-crazy, I think that you have answered your own question.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nice story, spnited.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

sorry, keef. the nfl rules. oh, and it's february, the drabbest sports month of the year.

again, personally, i don't need to be reading a bunch of draft features two months before the event. the best thing for me was developing relationships with coaches/gms in settings like restaurants and bars, situations you NEVER get the 11 other months.

there are a myriad of non-draft stories to be had -- it's right before free agency and right after all these new coaches have been hired -- so much can be done. if the nfl doesn't float your boat, just turn the page, change the channel or patiently wait for espn to turn its attention to NASCAR. yikes!!!

9. jdklamp

jdklamp Member

Here's a good column about the combine from Phil Sheridan.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/columnists/phil_sheridan/16744082.htm

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

good work by phil. the nfl's dirty little secret is that the combine itself is a total bore. nothing at all exciting about the drills the players go through. it's like someone making sausage. um, i don't need to see it.

for the last timeL from this reporter's perspective, it's all about the access. what you do with that access is up to you.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

The NFL moves the ratings dial. People care about it. It's become a year-round sport because it matters to people.
    If you don't like it, don't freaking watch.

12. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

So is there any reason to get there early in the morning? When do things kick off?

Draft saved Draft deleted