1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The next Texas A&M?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

While much consternation has been shed over the "next George Mason," which in this tournament, there clearly won't be one, how about the next Texas A&M? The next big-time school that's traditionally been a basketball wasteland to rise up and make noise in March.

Since A&M has done it two years in a row, I think it's safe to say they're back on the college hoops map, maybe for the first time.

I know Washington State could fit into this category, but I'd like to see if the Cougs repeat this year's success next year. Same with Virginia Tech.

How about others?
    Nebraska
    Baylor
    Penn State
    Oregon State
    Northwestern
    South Carolina (NIT doesn't count)
    Arizona State
    Colorado

None of these programs have been much in the way of college hoop players in the last two decades, save for a blip here or there. Is there potential?

2. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

How about a team already in the Sweet 16: USC (particularly when O.J. Mayo arrives next year).

3. Baylor has some potential. It's done a nice job coming back from the scandal(s). But the rest predominantly are football schools. Just like you wouldn't expect much from Duke, North Carolina, Indiana, etc., in the way of football.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It's made noise in the past, so it wouldn't be exactly like TAMU, but I think Mississippi State is going to be really good next year. People who don't know Jamont Gordon will, and the Dogs have scary athleticism and length. They could win the SEC West next season.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Michigan has some potential to be included. Barren wasteland for almost a decade with the Ed Martin scandal and six years of NIT coaching wonder Amaker.

But with a pretty strong recruiting class coming in, it could happen. (So far the recruits have said they are still committed too).

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I think South Carolina has the potential to do something special (yeah, I know I'm a Gamecock homer). They got eight new players who will step on the court, including three guys who transferred from Syracuse, Georgia Tech and Cincinnati). They've also got a pretty good freshman coming in the post (if he doesn't get arrested before basketball season) and a couple guards. Dave Odom's got the talent coming, the question is whether he can mesh it all together.

I wouldn't count out Clemson either. They were on fire at first before dropping 10 of 14 games. If they could ever figure out how to play basketball in the ACC, they could make some noise.

7. Jimmy Pips

Jimmy Pips Member

Kansas State. If Bill Walker stays another year, with the recruiting class they have coming in they could turn it around awfully fast.

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I don't follow hoops nationwide, but I do agree that K-State and Baylor both have potential. Biggest obstacle with Baylor now is with TAMU rising and Texas strong, recruiting will be more competitive. But they have some talent in and coming in.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Hell, they won the SEC West *this* year.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Good point. OK, maybe they'll win it with a winning record.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's what school came to mind here.

12. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Wouldn't Depaul be the type of place that a coach with outstanding recruiting skills (or a coach without a conscience, as it were) could go and thrive? Imagine if Depaul could recruit 1 out of the 10 best players from the city every year?

I've never understood how Depaul hasn't been able to maintain elite status, given the absurd talent constantly present in its front yard.

Draft saved Draft deleted