1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The Newsroom' done after this season

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65720

Essentially sounds like, a) Sorkin lost interest, and b) HBO lost interest as it was overtaken by 'Girls' in viewership numbers.

Whenever I've watched the show I always get the feeling it's about to kick into a higher gear, but it never has.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

More people watch Girls than the Newsroom? Talk about proof of the decline of our culture.

The Newsroom has its flaws, but Girls is unwatchable crap.

From what I had read previously, everybody wanted to continue, including HBO, but Sorkin did not. I'm taking it as a positive that he even came back for a third season. If you watch the final episode of Season 2, I don't know how you can come away not thinking that was designed to be a series finale just in case.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Nudity. Change the show to Nudesroom and you'll get viewers

4. Starman

Except any of the females on 'The Newsroom' would have to gain 75 pounds to match up to Lena Cuisine.

IMO, the constant, preposterous, 'you're gonna smell my ass and you're gonna like it' nudity on 'Girls' can't really be attrractive to anybody. Even those who find Dunham attractive, and I am sure there are some, have to be thinking 'what the fuck is the point' after a certain point.

It was pretty obviously written with either possiblity in mind. There are some continuing storylines which could be carried into the next season, and a few were wrapped up.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, they didn't tie up every single little thing, but they wrapped up enough to get me hunting online for stories about the show's future.

6. Starman

Yeah. 'Hung' and 'In Treatment,' HBO minis which WERE cancelled during offseason hiatuses, took similar routes. They left some stuff hanging but drew other things to a conclusion.

Funny, HBO is offering selected episodes of almost all their miniseries in the last decade on demand this month.

I checked out a few episodes of 'Big Love' and came away convinced the creators got sick of it with about 1 1/2 seasons to go and determined to crash-land it in the most jarring and abrasive way possible.

As for 'Hung,' I rewatched the pilot last night and I think it might have become a pretty good show if they had gone in a couple diffferent directions character-emphasis wise. Mainly they needed to lose the abominably ugly and stupid kids.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

perhaps if it were more realistic it would've lasted. I watched the election night episode and there was NO PIZZA! Totally unrealistic.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If we have something we want to add to a conversation - we post on this site. When Aaron Sorkin does - he pitches a show.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This. The Newsroom is Sports Night meets West Wing. It has its moments, but really there's only so much rapid-fire dialogue you can digest before it gets tiring. That said, I felt like I had to watch Girls because it was drawing rave reviews. So I plowed through the first two seasons. Every character is despicable, with the possible exception of Charlie. I guess I'm really not the target audience, but that's 20 hours or so of my life that I'll never get back.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can't stand Girls.

I don't like Newsroom. Don't like most of the characters.

11. Starman

I kinda like Newsroom because of the subject matter but most of the characters range from mildly unlikable to full flaming douchebag.

"Girls" is a terrific argument in favor of domestic violence. Almost everybody on it needs to be slapped hard, often and relentlessly.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Sorkin writes women as poorly as any "serious" writer in television. The women in SATC were awful creatures, but at least they spoke lines that seemed like a woman could actually say them, not Aaron Sorkin's fantasy of how a woman would talk and get all flustered when any Aaron Sorkin-esq idealistic bombastic man walked into the room.

There are three good parts of The Newsroom : Charlie, Don, Sloan. The rest is total shit. McKennzie and Maggie are two of the worst characters an HBO show has ever trotted out.

Draft saved Draft deleted