1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Times TV critic PWNED Bryant Gumbel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bill Brasky, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

He botches the name of the post game show, too. Saying "don't forget, the, um, Wendy's Post-Game Show - Home Depot Post-Game Show is coming up in just a little bit."

I'm sure the sponsors and execs LOVED that.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Hard to believe that Gumbel was once an outstanding NFL studio show host, but he was. I don't know if he has enough game for that anymore, but if he's going to be involved with sportscasting at all, that's the only place he has a chance to be decent.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Time for him to be "moving on."

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

That's exactly what his role should be. And he's good at it on Real Sports. But please take him off play-by-play (and his brother, too, who is pretty much good at nothing).

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Someone's going to be pissed. They used a period in Dr Pepper.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'll be damned. Never noticed there wasn't one ...

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I actually think his brother does a nice job at play-by-play.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

OK .... I guess I hate the "this side" kind of remarks and "to the receiver" because he can't pick up numbers/players. He's horrible.

9. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

One of my all-time favorite Saturday Night Live moments was during a "Weekend Update" when Dennis Miller announced that Bryant Gumbel's ego had applied for statehood. "If granted it will become the 51st state and fifth largest." [I think it was fifth largest anyway...I looked on Google to see if I could find the quote with zero success. Ditto for finding a clip on youtube]

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

From a site that's nothing but SNL transcripts:

The NBC "Today Show" and Olympic host Bryant Gumbel's ego applied for statehood today. If granted, it would become our nation's fifty-first state, and ninth largest.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/88/88aupdate.phtml

Incidentally, that was the same Weekend Update with the "All-Drug Olympics."

You're welcome in advance for all the time you're about to waste ...

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Lolcat gets PWNED.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

If he won't quit, easy solution. Bryant, your new color analyst, David Letterman.

YD&OHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted