1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Times goes there

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think the party itself is damage control. I think the relentless media push about it might be.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Starman, you realize the overtly racial reading of that reflects more on you than on me?
    You are smart enough to understand that?
    This is how shit gets lit around here.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Yes. The party is not damage control, for the reason you cited.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is the key. I tend to believe the Enquirer more often than not, because they have gotten a lot of pretty big stories right, but their standards are different. We have a somewhat strict anonymous source policy, so we couldn't run 75 percent of what they print. We had a reporter who was very good and had excellent sources and he would try to circumvent the policy a lot, and he was usually right when the story finally came out, but we couldn't go with it without a name attached unless there was a very good reason. He moved on to a much more prominent position where the standards aren't the same and he breaks stories left and right.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

If Hillary runs, all this will be forgotten under the avalanche of who Bill has been poking in the 16 years since he left the White House.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

How many "divorce shockers" did the Enquirer write about the Clintons? Seems like a half-dozen or so, if I remember correctly my check-out line scanning of the headlines. I remember they had Laura divorcing W too, at least once but possibly more times (IIRC, he was drinking, he was having an affair with Condi Rice, etc).

People remember the things they get right, they tend to forget the stuff they get wrong.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or Hillary's seafood dinner companions.

I think revelations Bubba was scrumping somebody else would elicit the biggest yawns in the history of the world. I doubt he'd even bother to deny it.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Karen Tumelty rings in with the WAPO entry of Michelle turns 50.
    A bit more edgy and cryptic perhaps than the standard fare.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/hillary-clinton-michelle-obama-and-a-tale-of-two-50th-birthdays/2014/01/17/086b7f2e-7f98-11e3-93c1-0e888170b723_story.html?hpid=z3

Comments are interesting perhaps summed up best by this one:

"Who cares?

These are simply the wives of our elected representatives.

They have no special status in a democracy.

Stop the imperial style worship of these non-queens."

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the last thing the legal offices at the Enquirer want is to be taken seriously.

"Who fucking believes those assholes (us)?" is probably their top defense, or it was in the past.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Bill being Bill."

No one would give a flying fuck, nor should they.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No one would care as it relates to Bill.

But, Hilary would have to explain how/why she's accepted it, and remained with him. There's no way she wants to do that.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why do good papers run this kind of shit?

She uses the occasion of Michelle's 50th birthday to run a puff piece about Hillary. But, in the process she infantilizes both of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.