1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Post's performance yesterday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 16, 2013.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

When I saw the 12 number, I thought about this for a bit.

Let's say the consensus is three people dead, but the Post has a source that says, three dead, but of the 17 in critical condition, nine have been taken off life support. So three dead and nine waiting to die.

Death is quite absolute, but papers have been tripped up by that before, conflating taken off life support and, you know, death.

Reading this thread, I suspect that the 12 number was a combination of both things, a source said the number was much higher, and the paper expected more people to die.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Given the reports that were coming out of Boston it was easy to expect more than two or three people had been killed. And given the way information is instantly thrown into the news cycle with zero confirmation these days - especially in a crisis - taking that information and running with it isn't unusual either.

Basically, no number reported in the heat of the moment anymore is "wrong" unless it comes in above the final total.

That said, you shouldn't report 12 dead unless 12 are, you know, dead.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No one on this thread has revealed inside details regarding the Post's reportage.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does the NYP have reporters in Boston?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It was John Miller of CBS News that broke the Saudi National story that now turns out to be wrong.

Seems like there was a lot of wrong information put out. I heard Police Commissioner Davis say that The JFK library fire was a bomb.

The story that everyone was talking about was that Martin Richards went to hug his father as he finished The Marathon.
    Read today that his father did not run the marathon due to a bad back.

I don't think The Post was any worse or any better than most of the news organizations.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Those other news organizations aren't owned by the enemy.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is still a fluid situation, I urge you not to jump to conclusions

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or, 3: They pull it completely out of their asses.

"Let's come up with a big number so we can start screaming about the moooslims coming to get us!!! Uncle Rupe will be so proud!!!!!"

Remember, we're not talking about a real newspaper here.

9. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Rooting against a newspaper that was rooting for more people to die, and trolling for web hits in the process.

I feel comfortable with my position.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Starman and H.L.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

what law? Be specific. Where do facts uncovered in an on going criminal investigation become public information before the conclusion of the investigation?

Draft saved Draft deleted