1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Working Poor: Players in MLS?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by britwrit, Oct 27, 2014.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Story in the Times today claims that lots of players in M.L.S. are struggling to get by. A $36,500 starting salary makes you broke these days?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/sports/soccer/many-in-mls-playing-largely-for-love-of-the-game-.html?ref=todayspaper

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They could work at McDonald's on their days off:

http://jimromenesko.com/2014/10/23/meet-the-medical-reporter-who-took-a-part-time-job-at-mcdonalds-to-make-ends-meet/

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

36000 is decent money?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Even with the understanding that they carry developmental players, it does strike me as a pretty low minimum salary for a league that insists it's a major league. The MLS' single-entity structure is a crappy model.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A $36,500 salary in a field that employs people exclusively in large cities is broke, yes. Or about as close as you can get to broke. The example here cites three players who live in Denver, where the median household income is $49,000 (Denver County) or $58,000 (state of Colorado).

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'd love to know where the minimum salary players in LA live.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Tijuana

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They qualify for Obamacare subsidies.

9. britwrit

Wow. That's weird. I never would've thought of that as being low, not for someone just out of college.

By comparison, I make the equivalent of around $37,000 a year in London. Yeah, I have to budget but I can eat out, go out regularly and live in semi-decent accommodation (without going to the cards.)

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Are you a pro athlete?

11. britwrit

No. I'm an idiot with a part-time civil service job. God bless the unions.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So then why would you compare your personal situation to that of a presumably elite level athlete?

Draft saved Draft deleted