1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The new "Star Wars" trailer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 20, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He said he's going to "finish your work," not, "my father's work."

I'm assuming Luke is the hooded figure who puts his robotic hand on R2-D2's dome.

Just showed my kid the trailer and he knows all the original characters (though he's too young to see the movies) and he was so excited it bums me out he's so young. My earliest memory is actually seeing Return of the Jedi in the theater at about the same age, so it tempts me to take him, but I know he's too young for the violence, as sanitized as it probably will be.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

There was nothing in this trailer about the emerging post-Empire system of intergalactic trade tariffs. And sadly, I don't get the sense that there will be.

I'm going to give this a pass.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The breakdown I posted previously backs this up.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. bigpern23

My hunch is that the girl, Rey, will be the one that is in danger of being turned by the Dark Side. She looked like she had a lot of rage as she fired her blaster. And I, too, am assuming she is the offspring of Han and Leia.

I think that's why the Force must be "awakened." It seems Leia and Luke would be the only remaining people in the galaxy with command of the force until this Sith Lord shows up, and thus, the Force and Jedi fall into the realm of lore.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Seems to me the black character, Finn, might be the one who has the Force in him. Maybe he's the offspring of Mace Windu (Samuel L Jackson) in the prequels? And I have no doubt that Rey does as well. It is pretty clear to me that she is the offspring of Han and Leia.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is some speculation that Finn is Han Solo's son with another woman. There is a woman who claims to be Han's wife in the current Star Wars comics (set between the original and Empire), and those are part of the new official canon. Only problem there is you have somebody who is Force sensitive, but with no blood connection to the Skywalkers. That would leave Rey as the Skywalker connection. Or maybe Kylo Ren?

There is also a Star Wars: Shattered Empire comic mini-series, which picks up right in the middle of the Battle of Endor and focuses on a couple that are most likely Poe's parents.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If any of the Skywalker/Solo offspring turn to the Dark Side -- or are even seriously tempted -- the payoff line of the entire PT/OT becomes moot.

LUKE SKYWALKER (Throws light saber away at the feet of the fallen Darth Vader): You've failed, your highness. I'll *never* turn to the Dark Side. I am a Jedi. Like my father before me.

AUDIENCE (having seen a Skywalker descendant turn in later episode): Vigorous jacking-off gesture with fist and exaggerated eye-rolling.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The black guy has a light saber that goes blue. He seems to be taking on a dark jedi, and he probably takes the bad guy out and this causes a shift in the dark force they all feel. Yoda wakes his ass up (or some representation of him) and takes in the girl and the black guy on the run in the next movie.

From Wiki - John Boyega as Finn,[5][8] a redeemed First Order stormtrooper.[9][10] On how Finn fits into the film, Boyega said, "When we find Finn, he's in incredible danger. And the way he reacts to this danger changes his life, and launches him into the Star Wars universe in a very unique way."

9. bigpern23

Yeah, I'm sure Finn does, since he carries the blue lightsaber. I was speculating more that Rey will be tempted by the Dark Side, while Finn appears squarely on the Light Side.

BDC99 likes this.
  10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Failed to turn Luke. Quite specifically. If Luke's son or daughter or one of Han and Leia makes a different choice, how does that crap on Luke's journey and his ultimate choice? The kids are their own people with their own stories, motivations, etc.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. Pregame speculation is futile here. The movie will either be good or not on its own merits. Abrams might or might not turn the trick. He's had big hits and, well, less successful efforts. I know it doesn't matter, as the five billion take is already baked in the cake, but I am just not that interested in the pregame hype. The last movie I bought a ticket for before anyone I knew had seen it was Goldfinger.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I am very excited for the new movie, and I have been since it was announced a few years ago. I've looked at some of the rumors and supposed leaks over the last couple of summers (when I have enough free time). I won't put any of them on here in case some don't want to know, but they're a Google away if anyone wants to see them.

Based on what has been revealed in this an the other trailers, it is appartent the war is still going on. I have mixed emotions on this. It cheapens Episode 6 as far as I'm concerned. Endor was supposed to be the battle. The Emporor is killed, Vader allows himself to die and takes the secrets of the Dark Side with him, and the good guys win. That's what the whole orignal triology and the prequels led up to. It does kind of make me mad that it looks like the Empire has somehow surived, and the war rages on.

By the way, when this movie was announced, Disney did say that this takes place 30 years after Return of the Jedi.

Draft saved Draft deleted