1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The new Newsweek

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Digress, May 19, 2009.

1. Cannot go wrong with the Economist.

If newspapers are The Daily Miracle, that thing is The Weekly Supermiracle.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Can't get past the layout (although I'm not a subscriber, I just read it when I find it at the gym). It's just completely linear. One story ends, another begins right below. It's a fantastic magazine, but the layout is just bizarre. Maybe it's a British thing.

3. Get past the layout, Big Circus! You will be greatly rewarded!

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

At first glance, I didn't hate it at all.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They're making it a goddamn easy decision to do precisely that.

Live with that, WaPo.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Well, the content seems good. That's something. It's just so, weird looking. And they are no longer ending the stories with anything recognizable as an ending. So you turn the page and either story goes on, or it doesn't. The type face is OK to read. But, I don't know. Ugly.
    I'm tied to until 2012, though. I'll give it a month or so and see if it grows and the content stays good. Too many columns, though, all in a row.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So the new "serious" Newsweek is going to use Stephen Colbert as a guest editor?
    And I didn't realize Richard Wolff bailed on Newsweek. Politico has a story on Wolffe's book that makes me believe Evan Thomas and Howard Fineman and others at the mag weren't fans of Wolffe.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I agree that the content is still quality, and I don't hate the new design.

But that back page blows, and my bigger-picture issue: I didn't think anything was broken, so I don't know what they were trying to fix.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I don't disagree with any of that Cadet.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Well before the new design, Peace Corps dropped its 7800+ subscriptions.

Guess I shouldn't miss it.

Draft saved Draft deleted