1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The new Newsweek

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Digress, May 19, 2009.

1. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I wept. Not tears of joy.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Newsweak.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Oh, this scares me. Haven't seen it yet. Did Jon Meacham superimpose his head on Jesus' body for the editor's note?

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I was flipping through the front ads to get to the content, you know those kind of airy looking pages with oddly rounded type face and no edges to them... and I realized, oh, crap, that is the content. I admit, I haven't read anything yet. But I paged through it all and it looks so gruesome. It'll take some time to actually pick it up to read it.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I was flipping through the front ads to get to the content, you know those kind of airy looking pages with oddly rounded type face and no edges to them... and I realized, oh, crap, that is the content.

Not a good sign.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I let my subscription to "Time" lapse several months ago because "Time" had become far too much like "People Magazine" and "ESPN The Magazine" for my tastes in a news mag. I did not subscribe to "Newsweek" because I wanted to see what they were going to morph into.

I just saw what the "new Newsweek" is about. I will NOT be subscribing.

I'm going for "The Economist"...

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

My first reaction: Every story looks like an ad, like one of those "stories" with the word "advertisement" in tiny print at the top or bottom. My second reaction, though, was that it's chock full of stories. It seems like there's a lot more content. I could be wrong.

I've been getting Newsweek for almost 20 years now. My grandma got me a subscription when I started college. She renews it for me every year.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Does it still have Periscope and Conventional Wisdom? CW was fun to see how many weeks in a row the CW on Shrub would be pointing down.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

CW yes. I'm starting to weed through it to actually see what's in the content. The back page is now a 'graphic' story. The layout is just so disturbing so far.

10. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

It's horrendous. Wonder if they'll give me my money back.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How are they working it with subscribers. I heard they were cutting their circulation in half. With the jacked up cover price will subscriptions end earlier? Are they cutting how many issues they put out on newsstands?

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think the deal is that they're going to jack up subscription rates so that about half their subscribers drop.

Draft saved Draft deleted