1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Michelle Obama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

On his second day, he's going to convince Bill Watterson to bring Calvin and Hobbes back.

2. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I agree. I'll be happy when something changes.

Obama's story resonates with me because it reminds me that I, too, can accomplish anything if I believe in myself and make the necessary effort to realize my dreams.

3. Mizzougrad96

Just curious, how old are you? I'm guessing under 20.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Yes, because a lot of 20-year-olds are married and have fond memories of Ozzie Smith.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Leaving the politics aside, why do voters of any stripe give a rat's ass about Cindy McCain and/or Michelle Obama? I ask you, when buying or selling a stock, do you ever spend a nanosecond thinking about the CEO's spouse?
    This element of American politics, which is old as the Republic, will always baffle me.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see the Cindy McCain sex tape. Has it been released yet?

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I haven't listened to a single thing either woman has to say and will continue to ignore them. My vote may swing on the VP picks.

And as for being proud of my country -- every friggin' day. Do we f*&^ up? Yep, sometimes in frightening ways.

But I still can't think of another place to which I'd pick up and move because it's better.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Your point is valid, but your logic is terrible.

The government, and especially the presidency, is not a business that we buy and sell on the NASDAQ. It's a public trust. The first lady is a representative of that trust, domestically and worldwide. That doesn't mean she sets policy, and it doesn't mean that voters should base their votes on the spouse, but it's clear that first ladies have used their platforms to make long-lasting contributions to society.

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't want to see either spouse doing anything other than standing next to their husbands on the campaign trail or at conventions.

They're not running for anything. I don't want to see them on The View, I don't want to read their cookie recipes (stolen or not) and I sure as hell don't care about anything they may have done in their past as long as they're not on the run from the cops.

11. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Michelle O reminds me of DeAngelo's mom/String's sister on The Wire.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, I agree with you. The wives shouldn't (and don't) matter. But the wife did matter in 1992 when we were saddled with two for the price of one.

Draft saved Draft deleted