1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The new AP phone bank is killing me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I understand the concept of having a phone bank out west (Portland? Seattle?) to collect scores in the various states so the undermanned local offices don't have to do it. I know it's the first year it's been done. But my gosh, the execution is killing me.

Each night, it seems I get two or three calls from the AP phone bank in a 15-minute span. It's always right during the deadline crunch. If it was one call, I wouldn't mind. But if I don't have the Podunk vs. BFE Tech score at 11:45, why would you call back at 11:51 asking for it again?

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

And then they add insult to injury by always misprouncing school names.

3. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

What would you rather have as an alternative? I think the system works pretty good as it is. Does it really take you that long to answer the phone and say "no, we don't have that score?" It's a small price to pay for a state score list.

And while it is kind of funny to hear how they pronounce certain names, these people aren't omnipotent. I'd like to see you guys pronounce some of the schools in southern California.

If you really want to keep the AP phone bank off your arse, post a list of updated scores online, give them the URL, and they'll check that and leave you alone.

4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We post all of our scores in an on-line scoreboard and I pointed the score center to that link before the season. We don't get any calls from them at all.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Billy, it sure as hell does take that long when you're trying to make over eight pages.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It cracks me up when they ask for a score on the opposite end of the state. Omnipotent? No. But at least try to have some kind of clue.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I remember getting those calls for high school football, on deadline. They'd ask every week for the same teams that I distinctly recall telling them were 300 miles to our west and thus not only do we not cover them, we'd probably be the last paper in the state to cover them. Never stopped them from asking again the next week, though. Maybe they were hoping for something in our state's geography to have changed in those seven days, or maybe we'd be randomly called by someone at the game for no reason whatsoever.

Draft saved Draft deleted