1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Natural" special tonight on ESPN2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KnuteRockne, Apr 1, 2007.

1. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Sounds interesting ... anyone heard anything about it?

2. boots

boots New Member

The ending is always the same - lame.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yeah, I watched some of it. It was basically an infomercial for Tuesday's release of the movie's uber-DVD.

But it's always nice to see the 1988 Gibson homer again. And compare and contrast the announcers' calls.

Scully: "In a year that was so improbable, the impossible has happened!"

Jack Buck: "I don't believe what I just saw!" (repeat, ask broadcast partner if he believes it).

Point, Scully.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No way. I love Scully. Looooooooooove Vin Scully. But I'll always believe Jack Buck was better. Best ever in my mind.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Read the book

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, the end is lame, compared to the book.

But there is some great cinematography in that movie. Redford looks like a ballplayer, which he was, of course, before entering acting. I'm waiting the director's cut to see the start fleshed out more so we learn more about the young Roy Hobbs.

[​IMG]

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I always enjoy seeing those brake lights in the parking lot as the ball flies over the fence.

While it was basically a DVD infomercial, it was interesting to see the players talk about the movie, in particular breaking down the actual baseball situations, like swings, and seeing their kid-like reaction when presented with the Wonder Boy bat.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I think the movie is colossally overrated...

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Meo to WNY fans of "The Natural" - the Buffalo Bisons have scheduled a War Memorial Stadium replica giveaway promotion for Aug. 8.

Long live the Rockpile!

[​IMG]

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm a baseball guy but I never thought much of the movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted