1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Myspace debate revisited......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jul 29, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Tempting, but I'm darn near cried out.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

“YouTube is a website that allows kids to network with one another and make friends and contact each other,” says Mitt Romney. “YouTube looked to see if they had any convicted sex offenders on their web site. They had 29,000.”

3. dooley_womack1

Betcha ebay has many times that number signed up. Shall we shut down ebay?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Dooley, you're way too smart for this. Parents can educate kids about smoking and drinking and drugs, and the internet, and they still do what they think is cool, because they 'know' nothing bad is going to happen to them. Even the most diligent parents can't stop a kid from getting in trouble on line.

I'd love to see MySpace do the Facebook thing for kids under 18...invites only, into a group. At least you're with people you know, or people who know the people you know.

Over 18 (or even under, with parents permission), you register with a credit card, so there's some accountability.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If I had kids, I would strongly advise them to stick to facebook and avoid myspace. Then again, can't you set your myspace profile to private?

That said, zag's recollection of the previous threads is, shall we say, flawed. And by flawed, I mean completely wrong.

6. dooley_womack1

Well, 21, the battle is really won or lost long before a kid becomes a teen, as far as teaching the right values and teaching common sense.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wishful thinking. There are millions of parents who teach common sense and good values, wondering why their 'good' kids are drinking and partying and talking to strangers on the internet. Kids don't get it....until they learn the hard way.

8. dooley_womack1

If you've done right, they'll have to learn the hard way only once, then realize mom and dad aren't so nuts after all. Provided they don't die learning, which is an infinitesimal event, occurrence-wise.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Talking to a lot of guys between 16-30, I've found out that myspace is fantastic for picking up chicks and getting laid. It's taken all the work out of picking up a piece of ass. Guys LOVE myspace.

10. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Sarcasm font?

Seriously?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Everything is dangerous.

12. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Guess he won't be going to the YouTube GOP debate :)

Draft saved Draft deleted