1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The My Generation of your generation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Christopher McCandless, Oct 28, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The unintentional comedy of it all is mildly, but only mildly, amusing.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Reagan campaign attempted to usurp BITUSA as a campaign song.

On Sept. 19, 1984, during a campaign speech in New Jersey, Reagan launched into a babbling spiel:

"America's future rests in a thousand dreams inside your hearts; it rests in the message of hope in songs so many young Americans admire: New Jersey's own Bruce Springsteen. And helping you make those dreams come true is what this job of mine is all about."

Three days later, on stage in Pittsburgh, Springsteen said, ""The President was mentioning my name the other day, and I kinda got to wondering what his favorite album musta been. I don't think it was the Nebraska album. I don't think he's been listening to this one."

:eek: :eek:

3. writing irish

I think the Gipper must have been referring to "Mary, Queen of Arkansas."

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Hey, I love to make people laugh.

5. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I graduated High Schruel in '93, the most obvious choice would be "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Personally, I'd vote "Fucked With A Knife" by Cannibal Corpse.

6. writing irish

Like Alec Guinness' character, Yevgrav, said at the end of Dr. Zhivago, "It's a gift." ;D

BTW, I've no ill will toward you, pallister. You and I disagree pretty strongly on politics, but at least you bring your real opinions to the board, unlike some of these clowns who say shit just to get a rise out of people.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

How are we defining generations, I might ask? I was 10 when Ten came out, but that's when I first started getting into music, and I'll take most anything from the early 90s over the crap from when I was in high school.

8. I guess the one thing I was asking, not what was the song that defined your generation -- your prom song -- but what was the song that you would scream out loud in the car and wish you could shout it at parents/teachers, etc?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The anthem for the year 2000, when I was 18? Has to be this one :D:

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Then definitely Killing in the Name. "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me."

11. pallister

pallister Guest

No ill will here, either, WI. I have my fun, make a point every once in a while bu try not to get carried away. As the youngest of five brothers, I have a lot of practice in takng shit, giving it back and letting it all go shortly thereafter.

Back on topic, I was 19 when Teen Spirit came out, and that song was on the radio all day every day. Even people who knew nothing about music then and know nothing about music now know that song as soon as they hear it, which seems to be one of the characteristics of an anthem -- instantly noticeable forever. As much as G 'N' R songs defined my teen years, they haven't quite stood the test of timeliness like Teen Spirit.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Where was it ever suggested that the times were stupid because the "other side" was in charge? It was pointedly stated that the "other side" was stupid for completely misunderstanding Mr. Springsteen's lyrics. Much as you seem to have completely misunderstood these posts.

Perhaps now you can post a picture of yourself as a nine-year-old in the early 80s, along with your thoughts from that time on the conduct of the Reagan administration. To advance the discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted