1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mule Haas of sportsjournalists.com?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Apr 4, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Re: The Al Kaline of sportsjournalists.com?

Odd story: My mom's favorite baseball player was Al Kaline. I had no idea who he was (I was young) and they were showing one of those OLD Home Run Derby shows, and he was on it. It was weird.

Apropos of nothing, of course.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

if you're going to be like Al Kaline, you need to quit at 399.

Oh, and golf at Oakland Hills a lot

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

OK, I get it. Kaline got to 3K in hits but had 399 homers. But still a HOFer. (Interestingly enough, Andres Galarraga got to 399 and Dale Murphy to 398. Two very definitions of my Hall of Pretty Good.)

Al Kaline passes my greatness test ... because he got to one milestone and it was good enough for him, and he has one ring (1968) and longevity. Sooo ... faulty metaphor.

You, sir, on the other hand, would be ... Sam Rice, who punched out in 1934 only 13 hits shy of 3,000 with every expectation of gettting on somewhere and getting to the hallowed threshold. (OH WAIT ... He played for Washington! ;D ) But still a HOFer.

Moral of the story be ... Don't sell yourself short.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Those home run derby shows were the best, though. I could watch those all day long. With the really square announcer, filmed at Wrigley Field... in Los Angeles. You know those players were earning so little and all had offseason jobs, so they probably got them there for $250 and gift certificates for a steak dinner and a free suit.

On today's show: Jackie Jensen versus Rocky Colavito... But they also got the guys like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Nothing wrong with Rocky Colavito.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'd liken myself to Bob "the Hammer" Hamelin.

Also apropos of nothing, we once went to a mid-afternoon Royals game against the White Sox in the Hammer's hey day. My uncle and cousin were in town from Alaska. Game went into extra innings, but the old man decided to make all of us leave to get to his damn softball game. Hamelin ended up winning it with an extra-inning homer. I was robbed -- ROBBED, I SAY -- of seeing perhaps the brightest spark of the Hammer's short career. I remain emotionally stunted.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. That was the reason... ;)

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose we know what year this game happened. :D

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

VIVA LA HAMMER! :)
    [​IMG]

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

When I read the thread title, I thought you were talking about Chuck Taylor: young, and off to a hot start. But I guess Kaline wasn't a cage rattler. Here's hoping Chuck doesn't turn out like Joey Belle, Dwight Gooden or Barry Bonds. Roberto Clemente wouldn't be bad, but I'd like to see him last longer.

Wicked, you're more of a Mule Haas. :D

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Is Mule Haas Moose Haas' smarter brother?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is a Mule smarter than a Moose?

Discuss.

Draft saved Draft deleted