1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mouse gives Wilbon $8M over 4 years: Wash Post will see less Wilbon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Jan 25, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Got nothing but nice things to say about Wilbon. Only met him once, but a classy guy who didn't treat me like I was a no-name from the Podunk Press (which I was.)

Let me be the first to say it here (but definitely not the first to say it): He's good people.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

"PTI" is doing just fine and won't be canceled anytime soon. The same cannot be said of "Quite Frankly," and I would think that SAS probably knew enough that he would need a fallback just in case.

3. donnie23

donnie23 Member

My experience when I was at the Bumblebutt Gazette as well, when I ran into him a surprising number of times. One of the few big-timers who I've never seen pull the big-time act on anyone, not once.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if you had Wilbon and TK on MNF, you would get more PTI like banter that would be a vast improvement.

Then, they can euthanize Joe Theismann.

5. Mizzougrad96

Wilbon is one of the nicest "big time" columnists around. He's one of the only ones who still consistently travels to all the big national games. He hasn't let his ESPN gig prevent him from doing so.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Agreed ... he treated me the same way.

7. Mizzougrad96

I first met Wilbon when I was a student and I excitedly introduced myself to him. He was as nice and gracious to me as he is today. You remember stuff like that and that's what separates the Michael Wilbons and the Pat Fordes from some of the egos in this business.

I could not be happier that Wilbon has hit the windfall. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy...

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

SAS also has worked on ESPN's NBA coverage. He's not gonna be starving any time soon.

9. silentbob

silentbob Member

Yes, Wilbon is extremely nice and talented, but you guys are overlooking the biggest element of this. $2 million a year -- for PTI and some other studio work? $2 mil? That's incredible.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY. Just the 2 of them in a booth, and rotate a guest that has some connection either to the game, one of the teams or the hot NFL story of the week and it's gold.

Play by play with the current use of graphics is redundent. Down, Distance, Score and Time are constantly on the screen. Throw in the relevant stat of the play and let it be PTI, IT'S MNF

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm glad that all the money I've spent on purchases of Cars and Toy Story merchandise has come back to the industry. But Mikey needs to spread the wealth...there's a Disney robot movie due out this summer, and I'm nearly tapped out.

Draft saved Draft deleted