1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mount Rushmore of Sports Criminals?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Aug 26, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fenian, how did we ever get by when you didn't know how to post pics?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There was the beating a guy to death thing...

And Fenian, that was as good as it gets.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Najeh Davenport is the No. 2 alternate.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The only time I feel bad about being a Cub fan is when I read or hear that fucktard's name. Fortunately, the Cubs played a respectable, if not vanguard, role in the desegregation era, so that makes me feel a little better. But yes, put his ass on the mountain...he did a lot of harm.

5. Orlando Cepeda?

Trafficking drugs nearly cost him the HOF.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

To be fair, Cap Anson was only one of many, many leaders (and non-leaders) in baseball who played "vanguard" to segregation in the professional leagues. The National Association had already rejected integration on a Philadelphia team two decades before, while American Association and International League owners (Anson was not yet an owner, only a player) both had excluded blacks from playing before Anson's infamous protest against Moses Fleetwood Walker in 1887.

Anson played a role in continuing segregation in baseball, to be sure, but far from the only role and far less influential of one than most people like to roast him for. It was happening all over the country, and not just in baseball.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

OJ, Pete Rose, Rae Carruth, the 1919 White Sox.

Honorable mentions: Jayson Williams, Denny McClain, Vick, Leonard Little. I would put Pedro Guerrero, but since his attorney succesfully argued he was too stupid to get into a drug trafficking ring, he's out.

I'm sure there's more I'll think of later.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

But damn it, I want to crucify him as a symbol for everyone's faults, not just his own!

Presumably the blue font wasn't needed. Yeah, he was real far from being a prime mover and yes, he really is kind of a convenient symbol of segregation, just as Rickey was a poster boy for desegregation years later, even though there were plenty of other people involved. Individuals do often represent (in people's minds) the actions of many, although there's obviously potential for sloppy thinking in there.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Art Schlichter and Maurice Clarett

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Do sports-entertainers count? Because if so, Benoit should get a lot of consideration.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Jim Devlin of the Louisville Grays, the Eddie Cicotte of 1877.

Didn't think the National League (then 1 1/2 years old) was really serious about their rule, "any player involved in betting on or fixing a game is banned for life." He found out.

Hal Chase, the crookedest screw to ever set foot on a MLB diamond.

Jack Molinas, the Chase of the NBA. Ended up getting rubbed out by The Mob. (Caps cq.) :eek: :eek:

This list is gonna look like the cover of Sgt. Pepper pretty quickly. ::) ::)

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The Straw

Draft saved Draft deleted