1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The most underappreciated player of our generation'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Multiple people have posted saying they are surprised he had so many yards. We are sports reporters, or at least were. For us to have multiple people on the first page not know he did so well means most of the general public doesn't know. We all appreciate him when he is brought up, but I don't think many of us bring him up except for in this kind of conversation.

Does anyone put him with Edge, Martin ... etc. as one of the best in this time? I don't think so. I've been a big fan of his since I had him in a fantasy league (yes I know, FF made me a fan) the year he averaged more than 100 yards a game. He was a beast that season and I've been following him ever since. I've mentioned him amongst my sports friends has been one of the best of this generation and they always laugh it off.

The problem is when Jacksonville was good he was always hurt. He got the reputation has extremely injury prone. Jacksonville then went to crap for a while and he was in nearly every game. Problem was no one was paying attention anymore because no one cares about a team in a market like Jacksonville unless they are winning. When Jacksonville started winning again he was past his prime and missed some games again. The reputation was solidified even though it's not really true. He wasn't as healthy as some but he wasn't nearly as injury prone as people tend to think.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Troy Brown.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

He's on the radio all the time up here, and people felate him every time he's on the air. While I do think he was a good, scrappy player, I think part of it was probably be necessity and the other part because of his coach.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Ed Reed.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Only in the bizarro-world of Sportsjournalists.com

6. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Broncos wide receiver Rod Smith (perhaps the best undrafted receiver of all time)

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

probably is the best undrafted WR but not sure he was that underappreciated. he was considered a top 5 WR for several seasons.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Mariano Rivera.

9. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Hi Manky!

In all seriousness though, Rivera is the consensus best reliever of all time. Definitely wouldn't consider him underappreciated.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He's considered that, but to me, especially in New York, he gets very little attention.

Jeter and A-Rod got all the commercials and the hype. Yet, Rivera continues to do his thing, year after year, and lately, has only been in one commerical, with Girardi.

Which reminds me of another guy who is one of the best in the world at what he does, but really gets very little appreciation: Martin Brodeur. If he was a Ranger, he'd be the toast of Broadway.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Baron agree with Rivera. Since closer became a 1 inning job Rivera is the best and you can't really make a case for anyone else. Not sure about Brodeur. Similar to Rivera he has been at such a high level for a long time so that may be underappreciated. But during the 3 times he won the Cup he had a great defense and a very good team in front of him. I think most people put Brodeur right with Roy but i would say put Hasek on either of their teams and he has as many or more Cups.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think you can say Rivera is unappreciated. Hell, Red Sox fans like (and fear) him.

Draft saved Draft deleted