1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The most underappreciated player of our generation'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 1, 2011.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

brett favre is the most underrated.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

How about Neil Smith? He was always overshadowed by Derrick Thomas in KC, but was just as good, if not better, in my opinion.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Craig Ehlo

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mike Mussina

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Curtis Martin

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Vinny Testaverde

7. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I wouldn't count Taylor and Smith in the same generation. He retired 11 years ago and did most of his damage 15-20 years ago. Their careers overlapped for a couple years but the game changed immensely in the 2000s.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

OK, well our generation is kind of vague. To me, generation means of the past 25 years or so.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If Taylor hadn't gotten hurt and kept up with his crazy video game stats, he could have been one of the all-time greats. It shocked me to read in this thread that he was 15th all-time in rushing yards; I would have never guessed he was that high on the list, because it seemed like every year he missed a couple of games. The guy was highly, highly productive when he could play.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I agree that Taylor's injuries hurt his standing (at least IMHO). It seems as though he only played in 12-14 games per year.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know this was just the writer's opinion (and quite a man-crush it is), but from the survey here, it seems Taylor was appreciated quite a bit. So I don't know if he's "underappreciated" or how to evaluate that. Is it underappreciating him to say "yes, he was explosive when he played and had higher YPC than LT or Curtis Martin, but you could count on those guys every week"? Or to point out that only once in his 13-year career did he reach 300 carries, while Martin did it eight times and Edgerrin James did it seven? If so, I guess I'm guilty of underappreciating him.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

McNubb the most underappreciated player of our generation? By who exactly?

Draft saved Draft deleted