1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most influential sports journalist working today?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Oct 25, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Fuckity fuck indeed.

Another downside to the Mailer thing is the part where you stab your wife with a swizzle stick in Plimpton's living room. But then nobody said it'd be easy.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When Leann Schreiber did her report on opinion-journalism at ESPN, it made me wonder why there isn't a "Rush Limbaugh" or "Lou Dobbs" of sports journalism who is a significant opinion-maker and Cosell is dead. Now it seems there are so many people popping-off in nugget-sized bites (Are you buying or selling? Fact or Fiction?) That nobody is really saying anything. And I don't know if selling a lot of books qualifies as being influential or having an impact, except on the writer's bank account. Anyone have any thoughts on Bob Costas? Jim Rome? Steve Sabol? Don Imus?
    There have been sportswriters who have had stadiums named after them and who have introduced the idea of all-star games and now who?

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Albom and Feinstein are well-read, but how exactly are they influential? Who or what do they influence? I don't think fame necessarily equals influence at all. I read an SI story once about the guy who coordinates college basketball programming for ESPN. Now he's influential, but nobody's ever heard of him.

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

Will Leitch

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Real influence -- clout with decision makers -- is more local. Some beat writers and columnists have the respect of the people they cover for being knowledgeable and fair, and their analysis, at times, can have an effect. I don't think anyone wields that kind of influence nationally.

Used to work with a takeout writer when there was such a thing, on a metro but not a huge one. One of the more prolific writers would snort every now and then, "Hmmmph! Six bylines a year!" Didn't quite understand that the guy may quote 10 people but talk to 100 for a 100-inch story (yes, we ran 100-inchers back then). Takes time to get inside something to that degree -- feel it, unfeel it so you're sure you've got it right, feel it again so you can write it, unfeel it again to see where it doesn't ring true (not the facts, but the characterizations and conclusions). A lot of unseen work to deliver something not just with bounce and passion but a deeper truth. One of the worst things that happened to the biz is not being able to see guys like that use two months so well.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm within 19,994,000 of the sumbitch. I'm gaining on him.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The thread title says "influential." That's pretty gray.
    Do I enjoy Feinstein? Yes. Does he influence, me? No.
    I've read Albom's books. The "Morry" book was good work, but very tedious. The "Heaven" book was a great read. But does it influence me? No.
    Plaschke tells the Dodgers what to do and they do it. Is that being influential? Yes.
    Whicker tells the Angels what to do and they don't do it. Is that being influential. I guess not.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Red Smith was great, but I don't know "influential" he was, even in the golden age of NY newspapers.

Dick Young was far from a great writer, but I do think he influenced the business with the way he covered and the way he wrote.

To me, influential doesn't mean you've done something especially well or enjoyed great success as much as you've changed the way people look at things.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

For those of us who grew up in the New Yorlk Metropolitan area, Smasher just nailed it.

And there are no influential sports journalists now because ESPN-like bullshit rules and that is not journalism.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Both are much closer to journalists than Simmons. Much.
    Buck and Madden have done more reporting in the past month than Simmons in his career. Just because a person writes does not make him or her a journalist.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

As usual, Frank made the point I wanted to make, but much more eloquently.

It's much, much easier to be influential on a local scale than a national one, especially in the United States. One of the reasons Cosell was so powerful is that, at his time, there were only three networks. (ABC, CBS, NBC.) There was no FOX, no Univision, no WB network, and, most importantly, no internet. Newspapers were king, because you couldn't get your information anywhere else -- except the 6 & 11 p.m. news.

I remember studying the Vietnam War in high school (1988), and hearing how Lyndon Johnson said, "I've lost Walter Cronkite. That means I've lost Middle America." I don't think that would happen today. There are just so many other places he could send his message.

Canada is a little different, because the country -- which is larger than the U.S. -- has, what? One-tenth the population? And, we have fewer people who are seen as sports media "stars." Don Cherry is unquestionably this country's most influential. The ratings spike for his intermission segments are unlike anything TV execs have ever seen.

But, there are others, like Ron MacLean, Bob McCown and Bob McKenzie (for hockey) who are extremely influential on a national basis here. I don't think they would be as popular in a larger, more fractured, market like the USA.

Of course, I would argue -- strongly -- that one of the biggest problems with our industry is that people are trying too hard to be newsmakers rather than reporters. And, Albom is far less influential a sportswriter than he is as a tearjerker.

Draft saved Draft deleted