1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Most Important Article Ever Written About College Sports*

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just giving you what the official NCAA rule is. Whether or not schools get around that rule, well, that's the NCAA's problem.

And K and Saban have become top dogs, in part, because they were free to seek their own deals. Saban's broken a few contracts to get to where he is now. And please don't say that "Everyone does it!" It's not right. College athletes are not free to negotiate their contracts.

And K has become more powerful because he's able to market his own image. Something the players are not allowed to do.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Joe Nocera follows up in this week's NYTimes Mag on Branch's article with his own proposal for paying players:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/lets-start-paying-college-athletes.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&pagewanted=all

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Does he offer them use of a school-owned unicorn? If he does, then it's at least a slightly realistic plan.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My column with my proposal for having Scarlett Johansson spend every other weekend at my place is almost finished.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hey, that's my usual line.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Since this is the journalism board, whether or not you agree that things will ever change as a football/money/practical matter is immaterial. Nocera makes his case. And that the NYT magazine devotes this much space to the subject is itself a bellwether.

It's been a big year for undercutting the myth of the NCAA.

Draft saved Draft deleted