1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most beloved living American athlete is...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Oct 26, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

About whom? Papi or Jeter, aka Mr November? Both revered. All these other folks bandied about — like Koufax — have been dead to people’s imaginations for decades.

These nationalities demarcations are pointless.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think it can be hard to fully appreciate the regional qualities of the "beloved" athletes.

Big Papi keeps popping up. Outside of the east coast no one gives a damn about Big Papi.

I think the answer may be Shaq, which is infinitely weird to me, but the fact that he has about 300 endorsement deals tells me people must love him.

Willie Mays is probably high up on the list, which is funny to anyone who's met Willie Mays.

3. CD Boogie

Nobody under 80 gives a damn about Willie Mays. If Big Papi was throwing out the first pitch at any stadium in the US, he’d get a standing, thunderous ovation.

But yeah it probably is Shaq, which makes sense giving how many people named their kids after him....

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Big Papi isn’t even the most beloved from that era of the franchise. I’d put Pedro Martinez ahead of him.

5. CD Boogie

With all due respect, you crazy.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Peyton" has the dual benefit of being an acceptable name for boys and girls.

Hoosier Daddy: Indiana’s ‘Peyton’ Baby Boom

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I feel like Shaq is OJ c. 1989. Back then OJ would’ve been in the top five for sure. The guy had a ton of endorsement deals and was all over TV/movies.

OscarMadison and PCLoadLetter like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

OJ was a "star" but I don't know if he was ever beloved. He's more like Ahmad Rashad, you know who he is, but don't have any particular feeling about him. He wasn't a great announcer, wasn't a great actor and I imagine word got around about how he really was away from the cameras.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So Shaq is going to go on a killing spree in 2024?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Now THERE's a prop bet for you!

Wenders, cyclingwriter2 and Batman like this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Also, in shaq’s favor. He likes going to concerts and going right into the pit to “dance.” Video of shaq at concerts is a cottage industry amongst millennials.

Draft saved Draft deleted