1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The morality of the free market

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Apr 23, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sorry you choose to ignore my post and offer that. Your prerogative.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It might make some sense at this point to try to differentiate between "greed," which most of us usually understand to be a bad thing, and "self-interest," which is a less freighted term ethically, and a principle more in the spirit of how a "free market" is supposed to operate. Any thoughts?

3. I usually prefer that the phrase "self-interest" is preceded by the word "enlightened."
    Otherwise, Ragu's fighting for his Randian utopia again.
    This is always amusing.
    He seems utterly incapable of grasping the concept of a mixed economy.
    Also that of a middle-class, but that's another argument.

4. The Big Ragu

I think you are spot on, JG, as usual.

In my experience, again, people tend to use the terms interchangeably and make blanket statements that imply that self-interest is a bad thing. Maybe others experiences are different, but enough have noticed what I have that I have read many others expounding on this idea.

Nothing could be farther from the truth about self-interest being an evil thing, the way some people believe. It's people's self-interest that gives them the motivation to innovate and create things for profit (or for their own sense of well being or whatever utility they gain from their actions), and we all benefit from the ingenuity and productivity gains that result from that sort of self-interested work. It accounts for almost every major advancement in industry, science, food-growing technology, etc. that the world has seen, and it has been particularly pronounced the last half decade, as technological gains have outpaced what we saw in several hundred years before.

One interesting exercise for a lot of people is to look up the definition of "selfish." Common parlance has stigmatized the word and added a negative connotation to it. But its base definition means little more than a concern with your own well-being--or self interests. And that is not, nor should it be, an inherently negative thing. It is actually quite rational behavior. There is actually a lot of good in that, because of the reasons I described above.

5. The Big Ragu

Fenian, if you spent less time trying to characterize me -- which you never correctly do -- and more time adding something positive and original to your own thoughts to the board, I could happily ignore you. Funny how I *never* characterize you and use simplistic (and wrong) buzzwords like Randian to do it. My posts represent MY ideas. Your posts represent your obsession with me, and it frustrates the hell out of me because instead of allowing me to speak for myself -- which I have been doing -- you insist on mischaracterizing me. It's sad. Why not just post your own ideas? For my part, I promise not to distort them or obsess over them the way you do with me.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I may not always agree with Ragu, but in this case I do. It's not the "system" or the "free market" that's moral or immoral, it's the people within it. However, we're applying morals to a system that does exactly what Ragu says it's supposed to do, and the two aren't exactly compatible.

I don't have an answer, but blaming the system clearly isn't it.

Perhaps going after massively corrupt governments would improve things to an extent, but until a better system comes along, there's always going to be haves and have nots, regardless of what we do.

7. The Big Ragu

Thanks Alley. Economics starts off with one simple truth: we live in a world of scarce resources. All economics tries to do is look at the different possible ways to allocate those resources. But you are still stuck with the fact that we don't have, nor will we ever have, the resources to give everyone everything they need or to end suffering and misery. We don't have the resources to do it, NO MATTER the economic system at work.

When I post things like that, I get smarmy responses that unfairly paint me as uncaring. It isn't a lack of caring, and I'd like to think that my actions off this board prove me to be a very caring person. It's just reality.

That leads to a fundamental question: Which economic system is the most efficient and allows us the most bang for the buck? I won't give a treatise, and this is a generalization. It is too complicated to deal in specifics on here. But systems that try to "manage" distribution of wealth are inherent with inefficiencies that take those scarce resources and leave more people out in the cold than other methods. It's primarily because of the "self-interest" conversation we were having. You take away all incentive for people to innovate and create and things stagnate as a result. Also, without profit incentives, you inevitably get corruption and theft -- something that has been demonstrated time and time again in the various forms of managed economies we have seen.

People on here will start a thread like this, look at the world in which we don't have enough resources and in which there is suffering and misery and make an incorrect correlation between that set of facts and "free markets" being the cause. But that is a fallacy. For one thing, we don't have truly free markets anywhere, and for another, many of the places that are suffering the most are the ones being kept under an iron grip by a dictator or dictators who enrich themselves while their populations suffer.

It's complicated enough, though, so that even if we opened up the world's markets -- allowed free and open trade, global deregulation, etc. -- there would still be haves and have nots, as you put it. We simply don't have enough resources to make the world the prosperous place everyone would like. Pointing this out doesn't make me uncaring. I'm not HAPPY about it.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As much as we might hate how a system that encourages wealth on one end and poverty on another because of the potential for misery and suffering by some, it's probably the best system there is right now. Or the best that's possible. Besides, if everyone had equally and there was no want, something fundamental would be missing in life.

Let's face it. Some of the greatest discoveries, adventures, accomplishments and more were forged out of a desire to go beyond a certain point. If there's an even-steven status quo, where's the incentive to ever move forward?

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Capitalism is a competition that was won a long, long time ago (fairly or not) by the .5 percent of the people who control 99 percent of the world's existing wealth and who have used their wealth and power to rig the competition in a way that ensures their retention of wealth and power.

Some people are perfectly comfortable living in an oligarchy. There's always plenty left over once the capital class' "self interests" are satisfied and our benevolent overlords will surely take care of us, right?

Personally, I think it's time to shuffle and start a new competition.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I posted that because your words reminded me of that scene.

It was an attempt at humor, nothing more.

Jesus.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

To be fair, Ragu stated an opinion and someone immediately jumped on him for being uncaring and insensitive, which wasn't his intention or meaning.

That being said, Rags, Joe was trying to make a joke, and it was a good one.

12. The Big Ragu

In that case, I apologize. I am overly sensitive because of some of what I get on threads like this. But I should have given you the benefit of the doubt. I'm not humorless. Just beaten down a bit by certain people on here. I am really sorry I responded that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted