1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Misunderstood Britteny Griner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, the Lady Vols kept trying, but 10 blocks and that Pat Summitt - a serious man-to-man advocate - went zone says plenty about what transpired.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

She should not playing.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Awesome game by her. She completely took control over the last 8 minutes. Many times, Summitt looked so lost, and I can't recall ever seeing that.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I think what helps Griner significantly, in light of the punch, is that her team is making a great tourney run, toppling No. 1 Tennessee in the process. She's giving people more to talk about now, and the punch is completely becoming an afterthought. If her season had ended shortly after the incident, she'd be hearing about it from now until the start of next season.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you work for ESPN by any chance?

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

She is playing. I know you're fighting the good fight but surely it's time to move on.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Nope.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. And from what I've gathered about Kim Mulkey, I'm betting she followed through to punish her much more behind the scenes than the two games she got publicly.

She mentioned that Griner deserved it when interviewed during the San Diego State-Duke game.

The public punishment was probably too light, but it's in the past. Nothing can be done about it now. Time to move on. Only time will tell if she's learned from this.

9. House

House Member

And she'll be a footnote in about five years because one player cannot save women's basketball. No one gives a shit about it.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Damn, spnited and starman do have a son...

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, from what I've gathered about Mulkey, I'm betting she congratulated Griner.

Everything I've ever seen about Mulkey indicates (when it comes to basketball) she's a complete beyot- ahh, let's be gender-diplomatic and say, "fiery competitor" and my guess her reaction was, "that'll fuckin' teach 'em."

Of course she said the right things in public because she can't be seen as condoning it, but my bet is behind locked doors in the locker room, she was very happy about it.

Because now when opposing teams send their sumo wrestlers at Griner, they're gonna be coming on tiptoes. Very carefully.

Mulkey of course doesn't want Griner getting thrown out of games with any frequency, but it was probably a very good idea for Griner to clock somebody early in her career, just to establish she's not going to just take it.

You read stories of Wilt Chamberlain's rookie season in the NBA, apparently several teams sent their designated goons (every team had one then) at him early in the season, until one game Wilt played bongo-drums with Jungle Jim Loscutoff's head, knocking him comatose with one punch. That was the end of that shit.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm getting a kick out of the Griner is a "once-and-a-lifetime" player who will help put women's basketball on the map stuff.

I though Rebecca Lobo, Lisa Leslie and Candace Parker already did that...... ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted