1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Missouri Valley Conference is ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If the MVC becomes a major, then I'll be happily residing in the city that boasts the MVC's version of Northwestern.

3. The Missouri Valley will cease to be a mid-major when people stop saying, "The Missouri Valley shouldn't be a mid-major anymore." Much like nobody really considers Gonzaga one anymore.

In the meantime, screw your RPI and other numbers; I just don't see how three teams in the MVC who would be good enough, if they joined the ACC or Big East, to finish above .500. One or two, maybe. But not enough to say going .500, or even a few games above .500, in the MVC would be good enough to make the NCAA tournament.

4. KP

KP Active Member

No team in Boston, not even a blip on the sports radar since Flint days. Amherst is about 90 minutes west.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That formula or "RPI code cracking" that some espouse is still predicated on one major, major factor that is too often overlooked.

Winning.

MVC teams have to WIN those BCS games. The league has to be strong enough across-the-board to benefit each other. If the league goes .400 against BCS teams, no formula in the world is going to make any difference.

And in the end, that's the essence of why the MVC is doing as well as it is. It proves it is good enough in the only way that matters -- winning. And 13-11 on the road? That is another indicator of how competitive most of the teams in the conference are.

This isn't new. For the last three years, the MVC has consistently gone toe-to-toe with so-called big conference schools. It's been nearly a decade since the MVC was a one-bid league.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

KP is right. No one has cared about UMass since Bruiser trashed the program. I don't think either Boston paper has a beat writer on them anymore. And URI is quite a bit closer to Boston than Amherst.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Does getting about the same number of at-large bids as the Big 12 make them a major now? I still say no, and believe the A-10 fans are wondering where all the deja vu is coming from.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Sadly, I did not see her this weekend at the MVC tournament.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agreed, though the MVC teams simply ate each other up this season.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The Mo Valley is just the "in" mid-major conference these days. In the 80s, it was the Metro with Louisville and Memphis. After that, it was the A-10 with Temple, UMass, Xavier and St. Joe's. Now the Valley is looking to take that mantle.

These conferences were/are considered mid-majors, but the Metro and A-10 featured major schools. I'm not sure I'm ready to call Creighton, Wichita State and Southern Illinois major schools just yet.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

HELL YES ... only because so many of them end up winning national championships.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As an aside, when does Southern Indiana start making its move to D-I?

Draft saved Draft deleted