1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Messenger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by scribe77, Jun 17, 2023.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't think it has to be anything criminal about a publication burning through money and closing. It's practically quaint, a publication that people didn't think would ever work longterm proving exactly that. Calls back to the days of The National and Portfolio magazine.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's been an era in which it's been relatively easy to raise large sums of money. The "capital raise + burn through the cash" thing hasn't just been limited to publishing. The Messenger is a little different, because it came to that party really late. But in order to justify burning through cash when your business isn't becoming profitable, you have needed a really good "story" in order to keep raising more and more cash to burn through.

With investment yields so low in what was a zero interest rate environment for so long, those "stories" could keep valuations of startups rising as money being robbed of yield chased sillier and sillier things. And that has kept that environment going for a long time -- companies were becoming more valuable on paper, which brings more and more money chasing returns and blowing bubbles.

It always seemed to me that the media companies like Buzzfeed, Vice, even the Athletic, were dealing with such a shitty business tradtionally that selling BS (the story) was a more difficult task than a shared office space company or a ride sharing company or a dating app or a nonsensical idea with AI terminology slapped on top of it.

In the case of the Messenger, Jimmy Finkelstein started raising money in late 2021. By then the punch bowl was already close to empty, but apparently he didn't know the party was ending. The Fed began what has turned into 8 rate hikes in March, 2022. With real yields rising, it has tamped down the desperate money that will buy into any story. And he was pretty much doomed from the get go. You all know the media industry well, he probably was never going to have success that led to profitability. But if he had gotten going earlier in the party -- say in 2016 instead of 2021 -- he might have been able to keep it going longer than less than a year. He would have been able to keep hitting the capital markets or borrowing really cheaply the way scores of other unviable companies did.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fuck over reporters who are trying to easily track down work they might need for clips. Archive.org works, but it’s understandably clunky and you have to hope the original URL was crawled.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Fifty million in 12 months? LOL.

Reminds me of the dot-com merger between Suck and Feed.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I did a story a decade ago for a website that went tits up and I’m still mad I didn’t save it.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I've got thousands of those stories. The good news is nobody reads clips anymore, so I've got that going for me!

7. long_snapper

long_snapper Member

Same. Through NewsBank, the local public library has a good archive of my former paper's stories. It starts in 1990, coincidentally the same year I started a 30-year career there.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

9. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I'm also tempted to create a new thread because I, too, think that clips don't really matter. That would also explain why content has really plummeted, IMO. Your social accounts have a better shot of getting you hired than your clips.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Any specific bad news about journalism has a disproportionate effect on the perception of the industry.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True. Though this doesn't seem like a journalism failure as much as a business disaster.

matt_garth likes this.
  12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I’m not sure I remember having seen a Messenger story shared anywhere. I’m sure it was doing some good journalism, but if a tree falls in the forest and no one uploads it to social media, well …

Draft saved Draft deleted