1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Messenger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by scribe77, Jun 17, 2023.

1. scribe77

scribe77 New Member

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Gannett's latest initiative, in which they cut costs by reassigning staff to a new venture and then shoot them?

maumann likes this.
  4. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Here's the Wikipedia page for The Messenger, The Messenger (website) - Wikipedia

It was founded by Jimmy Finkelstein, the former owner of The Hill.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I am the Messenger.
    And I write and I write.
    I write through Gannett's backside
    I see the suits come out and cry

tapintoamerica and MeanGreenATO like this.
  6. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

I’m hearing The Messenger faces a *very* bleak future.

7. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don't kill The Messenger.

maumann likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's worth noting this fawning story from the NYT announcing The Messenger is less than a year old:

The Messenger, a Media Start-Up, Aims to Build a Newsroom Fast

In May, he plans to introduce The Messenger, a news site that will cover politics, business, entertainment and sports. Financed with $50 million in investor money, the site will start with at least 175 journalists stationed in New York, Washington and Los Angeles, executives say. But in a year, Mr. Finkelstein said, he plans to have around 550 journalists, about as many as The Los Angeles Times.

The goal, Mr. Finkelstein said in his first extended interview about the new business, is creating an alternative to a national news media that he says has come under the sway of partisan influences. The site will be free and supported by advertising, with an events business to follow.

“I remember an era where you’d sit by the TV, when I was a kid with my family, and we’d all watch ‘60 Minutes’ together,” said Mr. Finkelstein, who comes from a wealthy New York publishing family. “Or we all couldn’t wait to get the next issue of Vanity Fair or whatever other magazine you were interested in. Those days are over, and the fact is, I want to help bring those days back.”

The market has spoken about this many, many times over the past decade: NO ONE wants non-partisan journalism any more.

cake in the rain likes this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The New York Times? Getting something wrong? In this economy?

I wanted The Messenger to succeed, but it never felt like it had a chance. I mean, there's a one-page thread about it on a message board for sports journalists. Delayed launches are usually impossible to overcome. The Athletic has innumerable faults, but at least it had an impressive launch.

11. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

wicked and dixiehack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted