1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Masters goes to ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Oct 10, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I will, say, though, I bet they make him put the kibosh on the nicknames.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You're with me, Tiger.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

...and the Foghorn Leghorn voice impressions.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The way I'm reading it is the ESPN broadcasts will be announced by the CBS crew with Tirico the only ESPN presence, handling interviews in Butler Cabin as the host.

If ESPN put Berman out there, he wouldn't make it through the first half hour of the Thursday broadcast before Billy Payne and the rest of the Green Coats goes up there with a fork lift and hauls his ass off the premises.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

That's exactly how it will work. Same as how USA Network had one guy to host (Bill Macatee in recent years), he did interviews on the weekend for CBS. Augusta National insists that CBS' announcers handle the rest of the cable telecast, which CBS has produced and likely will continue to produce.
    That was true even after NBC Universal took control of USA, and some NBC brass thought NBC announcers -- Johnny Miller, hello -- would be allowed to help on the weekday shows. Augusta National said no. This will be a CBS telecast with an ESPN name fronting it on ESPN (and, perhaps, on CBS' HD stations, which was the case the last several years).

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"Back, back, back, back, back, back, back ... Tiiiiigggeeerrr Woods approach has flown the green at the 13th hole ........ Holy Amen Corner, Batman!"

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

My bet is CBS will still do the late-night specials Thursday and Friday with Nantz and ESPN replaces what USA did those first two days.

Tirico will be fine, so long as he avoids hitting on the ladies at Augusta.

Oh, wait, that's right...

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Wait until the first long putt: "And it could ... go ... in ... the ... hole."

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

What? No Sergio Valente Garcia? No Stewart Everything but the Kitchen Cink? No Aaron Color Me Baddeley?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do you think Bill Simmons will start writing a lot more about golf?

I am thankful that I can see the tourney in decent High Def.

Will they follow the same commercial rules?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Can't wait to see "Bill and Cronies, Out To Lunch At The Masters".

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Or a wet T-shirt contest.

Draft saved Draft deleted