1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The majority of books by successful writers are failures.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

To be fair, the expensive consumer coffee shop as a nationwide phenomenon is only 20-25 years old.
    It's still growing, but it could turn south easily.

Bookstores as a physical entity are dead as the dodo.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'll never understand going somewhere to drink overpriced coffee when I can do it in my living room.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like over-priced coffee shop. I admit it, even though I know I'm a sucker.

I drink regular, decent coffee in the office all week, and once a week I get a coffee shop latte or cappuccino because I have a weekly community meeting at a coffee shop.

I don't drink coffee after lunch, generally, because I have a lot of trouble sleeping.

I don't drink coffee at home, and I generally don't drink it on weekends unless we go out for breakfast, which isn't often.

When I was younger I drank coffee all day, a lot of it. Now I have 4-5 cups before noon M-F.

4. Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill New Member

The Borders by us closed a few years ago and has sat vacant since. I think the bookstore in present form is dead. But I think it could work as a bar, coffee shop, and social center. Hold regular book club meetings, Bible studies, whatever and profit more from
    the coffee and booze than the books. Slash inventory and stock maybe just the best sellers. There was a place a little like this in the Atlanta airport that was
    pretty cool.

I would have liked to try that in our town if
    I had infinitely more time, money, and guts.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I only go to Starbucks to get work done. I have too many distractions at home or in my office. I view the price of a coffee as rent.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you really want to get some work done book a ticket on Amtrak and sit in
    quiet car. Coffee not great though.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Great idea.
    Places like Atlanta Bread Company are more often than not the refuge of failed writers.
    Fuck these places.
    Give me a cold Nat Light and my man cave any day.

Draft saved Draft deleted