1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

THE MACHINE COMES TO AN END

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ned racine, Nov 16, 2006.

1. ned racine

ned racine Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/11/16/george.michael.ap/index.html

say what you want,but the man who in my mind was the greatest rock and roll dj of all time,also revolutionized tv sportscasting...he took warner wolf's schtick and brought it to new heights....using satelites before anyone else,he showed highlights on the local news iin DC that nobody else could.....one year north carolina played virginia and the game was not on local tv....george brought the game in to his studio on landline and showed ten minutes of highlights at 11:00....it was amazing....yes he had his faults(an awful temper and could be a dick to anyone) but his passion was having the best sportscast every night...he did kiss ass to athletes but he was an entertainer...the sports machine was great int he 80's before espn became so big...he changed with the times and the show became more feature oriented over time....he will be missed in DC.....the fact that he refused to lay anyone off is a tribute to the loyalty he had for his staff.......i could go on forever...but i wont.......

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is a joke, right?

4. tommyp

tommyp Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/34075/

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We can laugh about it now, but he really was ahead of his time with the Sports Machine.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, no. I'm still waiting to find out what George is "doing with that awesome highlight-playing machine doohickey? You know, the one with the big red button?"

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

"The greatest rock n' roll dj of all-time".. you can not be serious.

Michael was on a Philly AM station when I was in college (insert BYH old man joke here) and was just awful, Eventually he got to WABC in NY and basically got run out of town he was so fucking bad.
    I could name 20 NY jocks who were 10 times better than Geeeee-oooorge Michael (as he used to introduce himself at the start of his Philly radio show in the late 60s)

8. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I'm sorry, but I really don't care. Just another New York-based highlight show. Yawwwwwwnnnnnn

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What are the other ones?

10. George was FANTASTIC.

Some of us, such as myself, lived in towns where cable TV was not available until the mid 1990s. The Sports Machine was our lifeline to national coverage.

As a wrestling fan, I also will always have a soft spot in my heart for George showing NWA highlights and Japan highlights from the early 1990s. What other broadcaster was showing Big Van Vader in Japan or the Great Muta in the early 90s NWA? George even showed clips of the classic Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat matches.

I also will never forget the greatness of the Plays of the Week and the incredible greatness of the Plays of the Decade in 1990 and 2000. Thanks George, you still rule it.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Uhh, it was based in DC.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It's going to end up in Kramer's apartment, much like the set from The Merv Griffin Show.

Draft saved Draft deleted