1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The LSU Penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I figure this one may deserve a thread of its own. Just saw it. Fake punt, dude has a clear sideline. Sticks his arm out briefly on the five, strolls in. A you-blink-you-miss-it moment. Small celebration - "you can't be happy??" one of the TV guys said - no taunting, not in anybody's face.

Flag.

No TD.

Seriously?

If THAT is a penalty, the game has problems. I thought the NFL was the No Fun League?

Anybody AT that game? What's the buzz there? Am I the only one "outraged" by this?

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Absolutely ridiculous. I have no idea what else to say.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just a joke. These officials, who doubtless will be backed to the hilt, should never work another game above JV high school.
    You wonder if the NCAA gets off on the idea of old guys pushing young guys around. Actually, I don't wonder at all. It's about all they get off on -- besides money.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The call was a joke. Fortunately, the game wasn't even close.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As a sports official myself, I'm guessing the SEC may have made taunting a point of emphasis for officials this year. I'd like to know how long the official who threw the flag has officiated at any level. Plus, I'd like to know what the white hat thought about the foul.

I had a situation where two JV kids bumped chests and I'd recalled where we were told to flag more unsportsmanlike conduct fouls for excessive celebration. I flagged a kid. The white hat thought it was ridiculous, but he still announced the penalty.

If I'm a white hat, perhaps I pick up the flag.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just wait until the uproar when something like this happens in a major, major game, like a league title game, or the BCS title game, and it ends up costing a team the game.

I can see it now: BCS championship game. Last play. Quarterback throws a touchdown to a receiver to win the game. Receiver and a teammate celebrate. Ref throws flag. No TD. Game over.

You think the uproar of lack of a playoff is bad? Wait until something like that happens.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You're aware that the rule negating the score only applies before the touchdown is scored, right?

8. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

I'd say it's taunting - he was doing it right at the two Gators coming at him - but Danielson said the new rule reads that it has to be "egregious" to be a penalty. That wasn't egregious.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I didn't see Gators anywhere close to him.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That makes it even worse then. That was just a horrific call but not quite there with the phantom pass interference call that fucked Miami out of the national title against Ohio State. (/stillbitterCanesfanboilooser)

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Why is Moddy not watching Tech?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They weren't quite in the picture, but they were closing in.
    The rule is stupid, and it might have been a ticky-tack call, but it's hard to argue that wasn't a penalty. It's like pleading with the state trooper to let you off with a warning because you were "only" going 10 miles over the speed limit. Yeah, he could do it. But he probably shouldn't and probably won't.

Personally, I think it's hilarious that the first player flagged for this is a punter.

Draft saved Draft deleted