1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Long Beach Press-Telegram knows sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by poindexter, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You could call them the Long Beach Dumb All-Stars, but would anyone get the reference? Or want it?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Well, interleague play did start this weekend...

That's just ... inexcusable. The editor who insisted on writing the refer should have deferred to a person with more expertise.

Hell, when I was helping The Diamondback put out its big welcome back tab when I worked desk there, the instructions on the area sports part of the guide asked for a sportswriter or a sports-knowledgable copy editor to write sections related to the local teams. That left the door open for me to write them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Thank goodness no one reads the newspaper for scores and results anymore. All that can be found online. :-[

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't even read the PT, but my wife is one of the few people left who actually expects correct sports scores from her newspaper. She knew the Angels were losing big on Saturday, so she was confused when she opened the paper to find out the final score. After reading and re-reading the piece, she turned to me and said, "What the hell happened yesterday?"

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

From this morning.

[​IMG]

The caption is xyxyx xyxyx

Please hire a staff.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Since when do cities of 500,000 people need competent newspapers?

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Maybe xyxyx xyxyx is perfect English to someone who lives in India.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Glad to see that consolidated copy desk is working out splendidly.

10. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Xyxyxyxy is almost preferable to what photogs have given me in the past.
    "Two players celebrate during their girls soccer competition on Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2009, at the Podunk High School soccer fields behind Podunk High School in Podunk. A player from the other team looks on in the background."
    I sometimes have to do more re-writing on our cutlines than on AP.

11. Che_bizzarro

Che_bizzarro New Member

Hire a staff?
    There's about to be another mass consolidation and move for all the desk people to West Covina.
    It's gonna be ridiculous the amount of chaos that will ensue when all 9 papers are put out by one group of people, especially if the rumors of the best of whats left taking buyouts are to be believed.

Draft saved Draft deleted