1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lonely Death of George Bell

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Oct 18, 2015.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I was banned from numerous barber shops as a kid. I tended to break stuff when they tried to cut my precious locks.

Now I cut my own hair.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

YEARS from now, when I'm found alone and no longer among the living, I hope someone says at least he took care of his hair when he had some.

(just trying to tie these thoughts together in the spirit of the thread)

Big Circus, Mr. Sunshine and Vombatus like this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Moddy, if it makes you feel better, we will find you at least within a year if your Christmas Moddy Mix CDs aren't sent out.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Do you want to get a haircut again an hour later?

SpeedTchr likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It falls to the police to notify next of kin, but the neighbors did not know of any. Detectives grabbed some names and phone numbers from the apartment, called them and got nothing: The man had no wife, no siblings. The police estimate that they reach kin 85 percent of the time. They struck out with George Bell.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Jesse Barfield and Lloyd Moseby just slapped hands, and have no idea why.

Iron_chet likes this.
  7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, as you said, I just do mine myself. And yes, quite the interesting threadjack!
    What a sad story. Really hits home with me as I also live alone, though I do have friends/family/co-workers who would look in on me if I didn't pop up for a few days.
    And just a few weeks ago, I was driving near my house, and an older gentleman was hobbling across the street, and as I slowed almost to a full stop, he walked up to my open window. He could barely walk and asked me for a ride to the corner. He didn't have much of an idea how to get back to his house. Told me to take him to the convenience store, but I ended up getting the name of his street, which I wasn't familiar with. He had gone to the store to buy some sandwiches and went the wrong way coming out, ending up a few blocks the opposite way from where he lived. It took him some time, but he recognized a couple of landmarks and we got him home. I assumed he lived alone, dunno. But it shook me up and worried me, because he clearly had at least mild dementia. I contemplated for about 24 hours and got some advice on what to do. Eventually called the local police to do a welfare check on him. I have no idea what ever came of it, but I felt bad about the idea that I could be the one to end up putting him in some sort of facility. I still think about it daily and wonder what happened with the guy.

8. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

What helps, when cutting your own hair, is to buy high quality clippers. This works for me.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Unless Dick's leaving out some more details, like the happy ending.

edit: should've read the posts below.

Draft saved Draft deleted