1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lee Greenwood Effect

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beardpuller, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be pretty to think so, though?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A five-time divorced draft dodger? He'd fit right in. Funny thing about the God Bless the USA video, the video was about Greenwood going back to the family farm that was being foreclosed on.
    I understand some of the Rev's remarks were scary to white people, but since I haven't shared the life experience of the Rev., who served in the Marines, and has probably done more good in his life than I ever will, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on what he said.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Jake Barnes would so vote for Obama!

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Somehow I find this all funny, since most of these issues have been raised not by the Republican canidate, but by Obama's own party.

It's Dem on Dem crime.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The best response I've heard to the "liberals hate America" line was from Al Franken.
    To Rush Limbaugh and people like that, loving America means loving America like a 4-year-old loves his mother. It doesn't matter what she does, how she treats others, etc. she's still his mother and she can do no wrong.
    When people criticize what the Bush administration has done, it doesn't mean they hate America, they love it, but they love it the same way a parent loves a child who is getting into trouble. He's disappointed and expresses that disappointment. He wants the kid to do better; he knows he can do better and he lets him know that. It may seem to the kid that the parent doesn't love him, but he (or she) does.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Do me a favor, please, and post those exact same words on the Patriotism thread in Anything Goes. Very well said.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Actually, that started as a takeoff on WLW-Cincinnati talk show host/blowhard Bill Cunningham (who will change his position five times in 15 minutes because it "makes good radio").

Willie used to be on at night, when WLW had a signal that covered the eastern U.S., so he had quite a following (he's now on in the daytime and syndicated). He tells all of his callers "you're a great American" -- has for years. Hannity started saying that to anyone who called from Cincinnati, as a reference to Cunningham. It mushroomed into everyone.

FYI, most of us conservatives don't claim Hannity. Too shrill, too confrontational.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I agree.

Although I admit I like the TV show for entertainment. I just think him being paired with Geraldo instead of the wimpy Democrat would make for better on-screen battles.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Crimson --

OK, there's a story there, then. It's still dumb. The qualification for Great American seems to be unequivocal agreement with him and his president. The world don't work that way. Things are not so simple.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Haven't come across too many really stupid posts lately. But thanks for restoring my faith, bp.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

How about not living in the past so that the future doesn't pass us by?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

"My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball, but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!"

Draft saved Draft deleted