1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lee Greenwood Effect

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beardpuller, Mar 18, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This is maybe a tangent from the argument on the previous Rev. Wright thread.
    In a nutshell: If this presidential election is about Iraq and the economy, the republicans lose. If this election is about who is more "proud to be an American," they win. They always win that one, because they don't have any mixed feelings about women and blacks being denied the right to vote for most of our nation's history, they don't feel even the least bit queasy about Manifest Destiny, etc.
    They especially win that one against an African-American candidate. As somebody mentioned on the other thread, it's just SHOCKING that there are a lot of pissed off black people in America, that except for Clarence Thomas and a couple of guys working op-ed scams, blacks tend to see our history as being kind of complicated, to say the least. They tend not to be given to outbursts of "Gosh, isn't America wonderful?" rhetoric. They're more concerned about making it better.
    The first volley was Obama and the Pledge of Allegiance. That didn't bring him down. Now it's Obama and Rev. Wright. The gameplan is clear: frame the issue around "Who's a Yankee Doodle Dandy?" Why, that would be the war hero!
    What I'm wondering is, are the American people so stupid that we just can't have an election about the real issues anymore?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

After 2000 and 2004 you ask that question? After the pledge of allegiance in 1988 and Willie Horton, you ask that question?

3. Actually, the first volley was Obama Is A Mooooooslummmm!
    That didn;t work so now we're on to Obama Is A Weird Christian.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This thread will be locked in like 20 min.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If McCain taps Greenwood for VP, he's in.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This dumbass competition has engulfed the political and social culture for the last six and a half years.

Hannity and his callers salute one another as "Great Americans" before any of the other slurping begins.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Edwards' best line from the campaign: "It's time to ask Americans to be patriotic about something other than war."

I think they're ready.

8. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Many Americans don't know the difference between patriotism and jingoism. Hopefully, they've learned that difference in the last eight years.

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I always thought it was God before country?

Oh wait. God is an American. I forgot.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm proud to be a Weird Christian.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It'd be nice if Hllary's camp hadn't played the race card. Then we wouldn't be hearing about Obama's pastor or his choice of attire when visiting foreign countries.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I highly doubt it.

Draft saved Draft deleted