1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The latest media blamer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think it's something like a goat or a sheep

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The profits of some hotel in St. Louis just went up, particularly room-service revenue.

3. billikens

billikens Member

As the resident Billiken on this board, I am cautiously optimistic about this turn of events.

On one hand, it would be great to finally be a NCAA tournament regular. Maybe then when I tell people I graduated from Saint Louis University, they won't say "I've never heard of that, where is it?"

On the other hand, Majerus doesn't exactly have the best, or most ethical, track record. But it has been amusing to monitor the SLU fan board. The same guys who were roasting K-State for the Bob Huggins hire last year and swearing they'd much rather be known (or unknown) as a classy program, are now saying things like, "I'm sure he's learned from his past experiences" and "You know how the media can twist anything into a negative".

I guess if Majerus can win a lot, I'm ok with him being there.

As far as Fr. Biondi is concerned, he's done a ton for the University in terms of raising money and elevating its status from a lowly commuter school in the middle of St. Louis. But he's thought of by the students and much of the faculty as a huge jerk who couldn't care less about the people at the school. He'd say one Mass a year and I always thought it felt kind of dirty.

My closest experience with the man was my senior year, walking/running to my apartment in a thunderstorm and having him drive by in his golf cart, with his dog. Did he stop and offer a ride? No. He did, however, hit a tiny pot hole, just as he was passing me, ensuring that my shoes and pants would be completely soaked.

4. billikens

billikens Member

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/trads/billiken.html

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Over-under on when he decides he doesn't want the job after all?

6. noodles

noodles Member

Majerus is as big of a phony as his waistline. What a fraud.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Indiana fans were also frothing at the mouth in Mike Davis' first year (or every time Davis appeared to be ready to be fired) about the prospect of Majerus being the next coach.

Of course, IU fans seem to like having insufferable pricks as their head basketball coach, given the way many of them still worship the most insufferable one of all to have ever sat on -- or thrown -- the bench in college hoops.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Portly, old school dude? Check.

Screamer who drops F-bombs like they're going out of style? Check.

Wears a sweater on the sideline? Check.

Majerus would have been perfect for Indiana. But it's hilarious that he first tried USC, then backed out, and also there were media reports saying he was a major candidate for Long Beach State's job, but the health issues prevented that.

I'm sure he'll lead the Billikens to the heights.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

If Majerus took the job, the food must be better there than I thought.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Really? People don't St. Louis University is in St. Louis?
    I'd think that would be about like going to New York University or the University of Chicago.

11. billikens

billikens Member

You'd be amazed how many people ask me where Saint Louis University is located.

Draft saved Draft deleted