1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The latest from Bleacher Report

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Screwball, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There's a big swath on the continuum between being a fanboy and being "cynical, jaded and condescending."

It's called being a fucking professional.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Then fetch me a beer, noob.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't know what's so hard to get here. Y'all have worked in newsrooms before, right? Breaking news teams react.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Happy to be here. Does the stylebook come in an electronic version? If not, I doubt anyone will read that antiquated paper crap.

5. CD Boogie

True enough. But beyond satisfying a need to be condescending (and to sound jaded and cynical at the same time), what other reason is there to read Bleacher Report and then come here to point out a particularly aggravating article? Seems like a lot of people read Bleacher Report simply to see if their blood pressure can reach new personal records.

6. Dick Whitman

Because it comes up at the top of every Internet search.

I could search "Theories about the Last Supper," and the top Google result would be a Bleacher Report slide show on the 10 hottest Sun Belt conference cheerleaders.

7. CD Boogie

I understand and appreciate that point. But the post that started this thread didn't seem to emanate from anyone's desire to see if Boston Market was served at the last supper. (It was.) It seemed to emanate from someone visiting BR and coming back here for the express purpose of piling on. I don't read BR, because I've seen enough to know it's such a mash-up of low quality content and halfway decent commentary that it's too much work to sift through.

I know a lot of pros take offense to the egalitarian nature of sports writing these days, but it has a tendency to come as condescending and snippy.

8. Dick Whitman

No. They take offense to poor sports writing. Look at the love Nate Silver, who came from a non-traditional sports writing background, gets on these boards.

9. CD Boogie

Well if they take offense to poor sports writing, they probably shoudn't frequent the Home Depot of poor sports writing.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Date Registered:
    April 02, 2007, 09:15:32 AM
    Local Time:
    November 05, 2012, 03:18:41 PM
    Last Active:
    Today at 03:07:08 PM

Always fun to see the activation of an old Backup Sock Puppet.

11. CD Boogie

Found my login info on my Compuserve email.

12. Dawgpound17

Dawgpound17 Member

Actually if you combine the "salaries" at RS and Examiner they probably make less than the 4 people at B/R. Rant Sports...you're honestly looking at 100-200 max unless you come from B/R and already churn out 100 articles a week...then yes you can make a little bit more but still nothing really great. Although you're making 100-200 phor giving opinions and reposting things from the bigger networks or newspapers. So that's a steal.

Draft saved Draft deleted