1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The latest baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, May 12, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Here's what came up in the office the other day.

Batter hits sharp grounder in the hole between first and second. Second baseman flat-out dives for the ball, picks it cleanly. He then gets up, sets his feet and throws the ball in the dirt.

Hit or error? The rule of thumb is that if a play requires extraordinary effort, it's a hit. But the guy messed up in the easy part of the play.

What say you?

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

An E in my book.

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Hit. He made an extraordinary play just to stop the ball.

4. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Hit. It's entirely plausible that the effort required in diving for the ball and popping back up caused him to rush the throw or be off-balance.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

If he had time to get up and set his feet, then he should have made an accurate throw. E4 in my scorebook.

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Depends on where the runner is relative to the bag when he makes the throw. If the runner's at all close, it's a hit for the reasons the_lorax mentions. If he's practically jogging and only halfway there, then it's an error because it's not a bang-bang play anymore.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I guess it would also depend on how far the second baseman had to stretch for the ball. Merely diving to stop it wouldn't make it a spectacular effort worthy of scoring a hit because of a bad throw. But if he really had to run and lunge to get it, then, yeah, a hit. Although the way you laid out this example, Jim Thome must be running to first base.

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It's two separate actions, he messed up part two despite the fact part one was spectacular. The throw wasn't the part that require extraordinary effort, but was the part he messed up and if a non-errant throw would have got the runner I'd call it an error.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

E-4. I'm ruthless.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I thought this one would be up for grabs. It was the same way in the office here.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If he didn't have to hurry the throw, I say E4, regardless of the effort it took to make the stab.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

It's an error. This happens all the time, more with shortstops than second basemen, but they making an outstanding diving play, then throw the ball away.

It's an error because a good throw would have produced an out.

Draft saved Draft deleted