1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last man on Earth to join Facebook ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jul 24, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I saw how your fantasy golf team did in the first round. Don't you mean "faceb00k?"

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Facebook is so odd when you think about it. You're basically building a monument to yourself. It's the ultimate cyber-form of gratifying your own ego. It's the internet version of "look at me! look at me!"

It's so damn cool though! The whole six degrees of separation going through the friends list is pretty mind-blowing.

Having seen much of my high school graduating class for the first time in 20 years via profile pix, I am confident my ability to get laid is about what it was in 1989. Which is to say ... not at all.

3. It's basically just a Rolodex for my generation. If I know you and ever think I may need to contact you at any point in the next million years, you're on my list. But my real e-mail isn't there, and neither is my cell.

That said, the only reason I ever considered going to my 10-year reunion was to see who got fat. On that point, Facebook saved me the trouble.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

For a time, I had Noneya listed as my cell phone number. If I needed two fields, I might have done something like Noneya Business.

I emphatically do not believe in putting your cell phone number on the Web, even if that part of your Facebook profile is Friends Only. There's ALWAYS the chance that information will get into the wrong hands.

The way I see it, if someone on Facebook really wants my cell phone number, he or she can always message me for it. Depending on the person, I still reserve the right to not send my number to him or her.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not on and have no desire to be. Whenever I think about it, such as last week when one of the leaders of my son's Scout troop posted a bunch of summer camp pictures on his Facebook page, I remember that I've received e-mails from two of the relatives I despise the most inviting me to join Facebook so I can be their "friend." The last thing on earth I want is to give them (and others I really don't want to connect with) another way to find me.

And, by the way, I'm not just a man, I'm Da Man.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No Facebook, no Twitter. I still prefer vehicles with manual transmissions.

Guess I'm already old.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm not on. Don't care to be. I e-mail friends all the time and have a blog I update about twice a week if anyone else wants to know what I'm up to here in N Africa.

But I have one friend who keeps pestering me. She e-mailed again last night. She suggested making up a fake e-mail just for FB, then sent me a sample post to see what I was "missing."

It didn't tempt me. At all. Is it that I'm shallow, or not shallow enough, that I don't want someone's "Hey, this is what I'm making for dinner" entry?

And how does it work, anyway? Do you have another e-mail you have to check? Perhaps I'll set up one and never check it. Would that satisfy all parties?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Facebook just weirded me out. You ever get a friend suggestion and you look and that person has a bunch of friends in common with you, but there is no Godly reason your lives should be that connected?

I just took a look at the friend suggestions. One of the suggestions was a woman I dated briefly--really briefly--maybe 10 years ago. I have no idea how the site even knows I knew her. Her contact info shouldn't be in my address book. We haven't talked in 10 years. I had forgotten all about her.

I clicked on her out of curiousity (married now, blah blah blah), and I found out that we have four friends in common. That was what weirded me out. Only one of them was someone who made sense: I had gone to a wedding as a date with this woman, just as a friend to help her, and that was where I had met this other woman. I had totally forgotten about it all. But it makes sense we'd have her as a mutual friend. The other three? A woman I went to college with, 20+ years ago. A woman I used to hang out with a lot when I lived in Chicago, at least 5 to 10 years before I met her. And a woman I used to work with (after I dated this woman) and got to be friends with through work. It's compounded by the fact that I don't have that many friends on there. It's just a hodgepodge of random people I have known at various times in my life.

The whole thing felt creepy-Orwellian.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I joined a couple weeks ago, and really not digging it a whole lot (stuff for a different thread).

But I do have a question - when I joined, I put some pics of the family up. Then one more a week later. When I posted that one, it posted on the wall of all my friends.

I don't want to do that. I just want to post some more pictures, so people who go to my profile can see them. When I post, I don't want them shared with everybody... It feels so much like "LOOK AT ME!!!', and I don't want that.

Anyway to post my pics without them going to everyone else's wall?

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Poin -- I don't recall the exact language it gives, but if you tells you that you have "unpublished" photos, leave them that way. I think when you "publish" the photo it posts to your wall and announces it to all your friends. If you simply put the pictures on your wall and don't publish them they won't show up on your friends' walls.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What gets me about friend suggestions is when it's people I know, but I can't stand the person being suggested.

Then again, my former shop requesting me as a Facebook friend creeped me out more...

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I get a perverse sort of delight in ignoring a friend suggestion of someone I don't like when we have 40 or more friends in common.

Draft saved Draft deleted