1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The largest city in the US w/o a daily newspaper is ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 27, 2018.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This is a probably a dumb question but will the home delivery price remain the same?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They'll enjoy not reading about their HS football games on Saturdays.

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Arlington, Texas has no daily newspaper. It's bigger than Pittsburgh and is home to Dallas Cowboys and Texas Rangers. However, it IS wedged between Ft Worth and Big D

4. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What days won't the Post-Gazette have print editions. It was unclear from the stories I read. Perhaps that hasn't been announced.

How much high school football coverage did the Post-Gazette do last season? How about 10 years ago? 25 years ago?

Are there suburban dailies covering high school football in the Pittsburgh market?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I do know in central Pennsylvania, it's become especially noticeable that you can't find anything on certain games this year. And I mean schools where there have been three, four, five newspaper options to do something with them. Apparently, stringer budgets have been sliced, and you're lucky to come up with a final score. No box. No story.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Are there any suburban dailies left in Pittsburgh? What is the closest daily newspaper to Pittsburgh?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They will not print Tuesdays and Saturdays.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Probably the Washington Observer-Reporter, about 20 miles down 79 South.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It's a reminder that, yes, theoretically a large portion of the nuts and bolts of what we do as prep reporters could be replaced by crowd sourcing, coaches putting stuff up online, good samaritans, etc.

But that supposes that people who aren't being paid are going to do it consistently. The very thing that a lot of readers hate about us, that we're disinterested bystanders to these games for the paycheck, is what makes us dependable. The parents who are at the game take a million photos, but at 11 p.m. on a Friday night, they're not going to be wanting to sift through them and upload the best ones. Coaches aren't going to post info on the websites until they've watched the film. It's going to rain and be 55 degrees one night and there's going to be no one there to do any of it.

Getting high school sports information here soon is going to be a lot like going to pot luck where nobody planned who is bringing what and you end up with 23 pies and one main course dish. Or nobody brings anything.

It's not a catastrophe or anything. It's a high school football game. But then I start thinking the same thing will happen to local government and news and it's chilling.

10. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, the Pittsburgh Tribune Review still publishes two local papers, too. The Greensburg Tribune Review and Allegheny Valley News Dispatch are still daily print papers, while the rest of the Trib is online only or weekly.

There's also the New Castle News, Butler Eagle, and Beaver County Times in the metro area, though someone local might be able to correct me on them.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I was going to guess Portland, Ore., which I think has more people than Pittsburgh. But I think the Oregonian still prints every day ... it just delivers the paper three days a week (W, F, Sun).

Is the Pittsburgh situation linked at all to the newsprint tariff?

Draft saved Draft deleted