1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The kindest thing anyone's ever done for you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Apr 30, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Your ex-girlfriend's dad reminds me of my ex-roommate's father.

When my roommate and I went to my dad's house to pick up a TV we were going to put in the living room, I couldn't hold said TV and it fell into the parking lot and broke. Roommate and his father worked out a plan where the dad bought a new TV and I was supposed to go in for half. That went on until I became unemployed.

When roommate's dad heard about it, he let me know not to worry about paying my part of the TV because he said he wouldn't feel right about having me pay for that without a job. I later found out that when I was sending him checks, he'd tear them up without cashing them. And that was when I had a job.

3. highlander

highlander Member

Helped out two ladies I know who were waiting for a standby flight out of Las Vegas. They had been waiting most of the morning with no luck. I had just gotten to Vegas that morning and told them to come to the hotel and have lunch. They got there and asked if they could use my shower. I told them sure, and the fun ensued. Oh I did pay for their cab ride to and from the airport and for lunch. Unfortunately, they got a flight out later that day, other wise they were going to have to spend the night in Vegas and catch a flight home the next day. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Ooops, my bad I thought it was the kinkiest thing anyone ever did to you.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Isn't this just the kind of thing that's supposed to stay in Vegas? You're lucky I don't report you to the Chamber of Commerce.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like the you-wash-my-back, I'll-watch-your-friend-wash-your-back aspect of this good deed.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had a neighbor who lived downstairs. She needed some work done on her back-end ...

7. highlander

highlander Member

We did that also, all three of us in the shower.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Usually the writer bases these things at a state university in the Midwest, but OK

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So now your avatar becomes more clear!

10. highlander

highlander Member

Or they start the story with, "I never thought this would happen to me."

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Guys, let's not jack this thread any more than it already has been.

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It just happened to me Friday. I am currently working as a temporary at the system office for the local community college that I attend. Everyone there knows that I am a struggling single person, working a temp job with no benefits, while attending college at night. And that I have a daughter in college as well. And they know about her recent accident. So ... on Friday, one of the single, but retired and still working there ladies pulls me to the side and mentions that every summer she sponsors a student and pays for their summer tuition. She had picked me and said she would be honored if I would allow her to cover my tuition. (Less than 30 minutes prior to this, I had just text my mother asking her if I could borrow the tuition, as I didn't have it.) I immediately began crying and told her I didn't know what to say. She said to say yes. I did eventually say yes. I could not keep my emotions in check, so I left my desk. When I returned 10 minutes later, the receipt was on my desk, showing she had paid then entire fee of $366. Later, I tried to thank her and words failed me. She spent the rest of the afternoon saying thank you to ME for allowing her the opportunity to do it. Three days later and I am still speechless.

Draft saved Draft deleted