1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kennedy Bridge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Went over the newly renamed Bobby Kennedy Bridge ( formerly the Triborough Bridge).

Have to admit it felt odd to go over a bridge named after a Kennedy.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They should have made it the Williamsburg instead of the Triborough.

I refuse to drive over the Williamsburg, because the thing feels like the last piece of rust is going to give way at any minute and I am going to end up in the water.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

when did they do this, and why (besides to honor Bobby Kennedy)?

4. The Big Ragu

Just did it... and it was, well, to honor Bobby Kennedy!

5. Boom_70

Heavily lobbied for The Teamsters who had a great fondness for all that Bobby did on their behalf. Their rank and file had a large hand in actual bridge construction.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Knowing Boom, I figured he'd make a crack about Chappaquiddick.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This thread is a crack about Chappaquiddick. I'm beginning to gain an appreciation for Boom's tactics.

8. Boom_70

Am I to understand that when you first got word of The Kennedy Bridge that you expected me to start a thread about it.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Of course! :D

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm as big a Bobby Kennedy fan as anyone but this was just plain stupid. In addition to the not-so-insignificant cost involved, the Triborough was already an historic landmark on its own merit and had a name that was descriptive and intuitive.

If you're not familiar with the area, the name tells you it's the bridge that connects the Bronx, Queens and Manhattan. God bless Ethel Kennedy but it was also a bit much to watch the ceremonial parade of antique cars going across when the city and state are in the middle of a fiscal crisis.

Gotta say I, too, was pretty sure you wouldn't miss the opportunity with a bridge named after a Kennedy. If it had been outside New York, odds might have favored Old Tony.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That strikes me as odd too. OK, the Teamsters love him. But it's not like the bridge was built last week.

12. The Big Ragu

You can relax. Everyone will still call it the Triborough Bridge. No one is going to be saying "Take the Bobby Kennedy Bridge." The same way you say, "Take the West Side Highway," not "Take the Joe DiMaggio Highway."

Draft saved Draft deleted